Top 5 players in Class of 2021 in Illinois
1) Max Christie, Rolling Meadows- 6'6" guard who runs with Illinois Wolves 17U on Under Armour Association Circuit. He's fundamentally sound, has a great three point stroke, floater game from mid range, and can finish with either hand at the basket. He has a good spin move in the paint to get himself free. He's an improving defender and good rebounder for his position. He needs to get stronger which he is by each passing season, and needs to be more aggressive on offense at times. Consensus Top 10 player Nationally in the class. He has offers from Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Villanova,Northwestern and a host of others. He does not have a Duke offer yet, but one seems to be forthcoming.
2) Brandon Weston, Morgan Park(Chicago)- 6'5" wing who runs with Mac Irvin Fire 17U on Nike EYBL Circuit. He's an explosive wing who can get to the rim and finish(watch your head). He has improved his three point jumper and is a rebounding machine. He needs work on his ball handling and mid range game(most kids these days do). He had to sit out last season after transferring from Lake Forest Academy(unfair decision by IHSA). I was told he has one season left of regular high school basketball, he will have to play his last season at at Prep School. He's ranked just outside the Top 100 in 24/7 sports rankings. He holds offers from Illinois, Arizona State, UAB, St Louis, Seton Hall,Wake Forest, and UMass.
3) Ahamad Bynum, Simeon(Chicago)- 6'2" combo guard who runs with Mac Irvin Fire 16U on Nike EYBL Circuit. He's an explosive scorer who can get on a roll from three point range. Athletic finisher at the rim(watch your head), rebounds at a high rate for a guard. He's an above average defender who gets into opposing guards. He's very streaky from three and has to work on shot selection, and his mid range game. He looks to take on a leadership role for a Simeon team who will need him in that role. He's a young man who will ball out anytime he gets on the court, pickup game, high school game, summer league game you name it. He's ranked 87th in 24/7 sports rankings(too low in my opinion). He holds offers from Nebraska, Illinois, Missouri, St Louis, UIC, DePaul.
4) Bryce Hopkins, Fenwick(Oak Park)- 6'5" wing who runs with MoKan Elite 16U on Nike EYBL Circuit. He's had an outstanding Spring showing his versatile game. He can shoot the three, finish at the rim, and has shown a decent mid range game. He rebounds well and guards his position very well. He is more explosive as an athlete than he was last high school season. He has tightened his ball handling which has resulted in Power 5 offers. He does need to get stronger. He has shown a take over mentality on offense this Spring/Summer. He's ranked 95th Nationally by 24/7 Sports. He holds offers from Iowa, Creighton, California, Ohio State, Missouri, Texas, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, and others.
5) Anthony Sayles Jr., Notre Dame College Prep(Niles)- 6'2" point guard who runs with Illinois Wolves 16U and 17U on Under Armour Association Circuit. He's a versatile point guard who has improved his three point shooting, leadership, and passing skills. He's an explosive athlete who can finish at the rim(watch your head). He's a good defender who can pick the opposing point guard's pocket. He has improved his left handed dribble and finishing with it but still needs work. Needs to get stronger and more aggressive with his offense. He played very well this Spring/Summer but has very few offers and surprisingly no Power 5 offers. I have been told it is because he has to decide which sport he wants to play in college. He's a big time Quarterback on the Football field. He's explosive on the gridiron and entertaining to watch. He told offers from Loyola Chicago, Southern Illinois, and Wisconsin Milwaukee.