Preview of Morgan Park(Chicago) vs Whitney Young(Chicago) Game tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
What a way to open the season in Illinois High School Basketball tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have #1 Morgan Park(Chicago) vs #3 Whitney Young(Chicago) at Chicago State University. Game time is 7:30 CST tomorrow night. Both programs have won multiple state titles in 3A(Morgan Park) and 4A(Whitney Young). Chicago Public League powerhouses that will be playing national schedules this year. Two Mr Basketball candidates!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two loaded rosters!!!!!!!!!! Here's my breakdown of the match up and who I think will win the game.
Big Tim's keys to the game.
1) Adam Miller(Morgan Park) vs DJ Steward(Whitney Young)- I don't think they will guard each other but will be keys to who wins the game. Both are good three point shooters and can score in a number of ways. Both are trying to make an impression on the McDonald's All-American committee that chooses the players for the game. They can't get caught up in that and will have to play within the systems of their teams. Steward, a Duke commit I think will have to do a little more for his team to win. Miller, a Illinois commit has a little more talent around him. Look for big scoring games from both once they settle into the game.
2) Inside play: neither team has inside players, they are more wings from 6'5" to 6'7". Morgan Park has Brandon Weston(6'5" junior), Isaiah Burrell(6'5" senior), and Kawheem Brown(6'5"senior), Aneas Davenport(6'6" junior). Whitney Young has Grant Newell 6'7" junior),Sanjolay Nige(6'6" senior), Xavier Amos(6'5" sophomore), Robert Postema(6'5" senior). Whomever owns the glass will decide who wins this game. None of these guys are low post monsters so it's going to have to be who wants it more in the paint.
3) Point guard match up: This will be very entertaining Marcus Watson Jr(Morgan Park) vs Tyler Beard(Whitney Young). Both seniors love to penetrate to the basket and finish though Watson Jr is the better passer. I think Watson Jr has more weapons at his disposal than Beard does. Watson Jr will have to be steady and not allow himself to be rushed into bad decisions. Beard will have to do more scoring and not turn the ball over vs the press. Jaeshon Thomas(Whitney Young), a transfer from Aurora Christian will be a key also. The junior will have to not allow Morgan Park to speed him up.
4) The freshmen: Morgan Park has two(Jamari "JJ"Taylor 6'7" forward, Darrin "Dae Dae" Ames 6'0 point guard). Whitney Young has one (Dalen Davis 5'10" point guard). This is the first varsity game for all of them, and a big one. The key with these guys is which of them will be able to not let the occasion get too big for them, and stay within themselves to help their respective teams?
5) My prediction for this game? Morgan Park wins 65-58. They have too much firepower, Miller and Steward will cancel each other out, and the depth of the Mustangs will win the day. I look forward to watching this entertaining match up, though I think it will be sloppy because it's the season opener.