Class of 2024 Top 10 players for Illinois Volume One!!!!
There will be a lot of movement in the next three years for these young men. This is my first release of rankings for this class. Class is dominated by Bigs and one school has three players in the Top 10.
1) Morez Johnson Jr, St Rita(Chicago)- 6'9" forward affects the game on both ends of the court. This ranking will be a surprise to a lot of people. He can score on the perimeter, in the low post, and has an improving three point shot. Plays for Meanstreets(Nike EYBL). Plays hard all the time and changes ends of the court with quickness and effectiveness. Protects the rim by blocking shots, rebounds on both ends of the court. Can take players off the dribble from the three point line and finishes at the basket. Is very good guarding the pick and roll.
2) James Brown, St Rita(Chicago)- 6'9" forward could easily be #1. He scores on the block with either hand include a nice jump hook from either block. Can hit the mid range jumper, take two dribbles and finish at the rim. Good rim protector as a shot blocker, rebounds at a high rate. Has to move his feet better on the perimeter. Hedges very well on the pick and roll defense. Plays for Meanstreets(NikeEYBL).
3) Jaden Smith, Lincoln Park(Chicago)- 6'9" forward could very well end up #1 on this list when it's all said and done. Huge upside as he will be a beast when he gets stronger. Can score on a jump hook in the paint area. Steps out and hits three pointers, and can take his man off the dribble. Best rim protector in the class as he blocks shots at a high rate. Rebounds well on the defensive end of the court. Has to get more aggressive looking for his offense.
4) Nojus Industraitis, Lemont- 6'5" wing is an explosive offensive talent, who can shoot the lights out from three. Sneaky athlete who can finish at the rim with dunks and layups with either hand. Handles the ball well enough to play point in stretches. Has to get stronger and more aggressive on defense. Guards his position well. Rebounds well for a wing player.
5) Isaiah Green, Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)- 5'11" guard can score with the best of them. He's a knockdown three point shooter, and can get anywhere he wants on the court. Finishes well at the rim, and has a nice floater game from mid range. Has to be more assertive at times on the offensive end. Gets after it on the defensive end, getting steals off the ball, and on the ball. Pressures opposing guards.
6) Joshua Pickett, Aurora(West)-6'5" combo guard who can play both positions very well. Runs the team with good passes to teammates in their shooting pocket. He can hit threes in bunches and it's hard to cool him off. Good defensive player who stays in front of his man, and plays the pick and roll very well. Rebounds very well from the guard position.
7) Payton Kamin, DePaul College Prep(Chicago)- 6'5" guard is a knockdown shooter. May be the best in the class. He can hit shots off the dribble or the catch and shoot. Strokes it with confidence. Can score off the dribble with pull-up jump shots. Sneaky finisher at the basket with nice Euro step to get past defenders. Plays for Team Jabari Parker on the travel circuit.
8) Jaedin Reyna, St Rita(Chicago)- 6'0" floor general is a big time leader who knows how to run a team. He's a good passer into the post, and hits three point shooters in their shooting pocket. Good ball handler that makes solid decisions in the half court and on the fast break. Good defender who makes the opposing point guard work to get team into offense.
9) Carlos Harris, Curie(Chicago)- 6'1" point guard is a hardnosed player who gets after it on both ends of the court. Hits the three at a high rate, nice smooth mid range jump shot, and finishes at the rim and can make it look easy. Defends at a high rate, moves his feet, gets steals off deflections, and picking opposing point guards pocket. Rebounds well for a guard.
10) Max Johnson, Oak Park River Forest- 5'9" point guard is a knockdown three point shooter who can stroke it off the dribble, or off the catch. He runs the team with dribble penetration to force defenders to him, then he makes the right play. Is good at making decisions on the fast break hitting wings in stride for baskets.