Class of 2023 Top 10 players for Illinois Volume One!!!!!
This is a loaded class with lots of talent, starting at the top. Kenwood Academy(Chicago) will dominate these rankings.
1) Javonte "JJ" Taylor, Kenwood Academy(Chicago)- 6'7"170 pound wing is one of the most talented prospects to come out of Chicago in years. Plays for Mac Irvin Fire on Nike EYBL Circuit. He has a complete skill set on offense, scoring from three, finishing at the rim by dunking on foes(WATCH YOUR HEAD), a smooth mid range game, and can score with either hand. He has to improve his effort on the defensive end, but has a lot of potential there. He is long for his position, gets into passing lanes to get steals and deflections. Rebounds well for his position. Sometimes he still can float through games as it is too easy for him at this level. It does not happen as much as it did his freshman year, but needs to progress in this area. Consensus Top 5 player in the Class and in my Top 10 regardless of class. Impressive offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/javonte-taylor. 247 composite #3 ranked player in the country. With more engagement at all times could end up top player nationally in this class. Taylor in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iwfxYi9cNw.
2) Owen Freeman, Bradley Bourbonnais- 6'10" 220 pound forward is skilled in every area. Skilled scorer in .the paint area with either hand with a nice jump hook. Can step out to the three point line and hit it consistently. Nice turnaround 15 footer in the painted area. Rebounds at a high rate along with rim protection by blocking shots. Does not play for a shoe company travel team which is why he has no ranking in 247 composite. Has to be more aggressive in calling for the ball when he has a man on his back. High majors are all over him right now. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/owen-freeman. Freeman in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQPtmJVSUP4.
3) Asa Thomas, Lake Forest- 6'5" 185 pound wing has the total package on the offensive end. Hits the three off the catch as well as off the dribble. Nice mid range game with pull-ups and floaters. Finishes at the rim with either hand using a Euro step to get around the defender. Good help side defender who uses his intelligence to get steals. Can rebound his postion with great effectiveness. Needs to work on man to man defense and moving his feet on the ball. Good outlet passer after a rebound. Has his head up all the time to see cutters, and moves well off the ball. Plays for Illinois Wolves on Under Armour Circuit. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite. Offer list: https://verbalcommits.com/players/asa-thomas. Thomas in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8BLYt2Rv0.
4) Darrin "Dai Dai" Ames, Kenwood Academy(Chicago)- 6'3" 160 pound point guard his game has grown leaps and bounds over the last year. His athleticism has improved tremendously and has grown a couple of inches. Knockdown shooter from three point range who can get wherever he wants on the court. Nice mid range floater, and finishes at the rim mostly with his left hand. Is making better decisions as a passer and floor leader. Plays for Mac Irvin Fire on Nike EYBL Circuit. Will be key leader for a loaded Kenwood squad. Has to become a better defender on the ball and be a better disrupter of opposing point guards. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/darrin-ames. Ames in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZZOcx1_b0.
5) Cameron Christie, Rolling Meadows- 6'6" 165 pound
point guard has come into his own and emerged from the shadow of his McDonald's All-American brother Max. He has a good pull-up three point shot, along with a mid range game. Finishes at the rim with both hands. Has a floater game to go along with his pull-up game. Has to become a better defender and more engaged defender. Has grown 6 inches in the past two years and has the ability to be an elite defender with his length for the point guard position. Plays for Illinois Wolves on the Under Armour Circuit. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/cameron-christie. Christie in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSO0zxdNMUs.
6) Davius Loury, Kenwood Academy(Chicago)- 6'7" wing has been a great third option for the Broncos. He can hit the stand still three as well as off the dribble, a nice mid range pull-up jump shot. Can get to the basket and finish at the rim with a dunk, or Euro step layup. Plays for Mac Irvin Fire on Nike EYBL Circuit. Rebounds well for his position, can pass to open cutters on the perimeter. Has to improve his ball handlings and on the ball defense. Would be interesting to see how he would do as a first option. Does not have a ranking in 247 composite. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/davius-loury. Loury in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npLL9rviV68.
7) Ahmad Henderson II, Brother Rice(Chicago)- One of my favorite players in the class the 5'9" 145 pound point guard absolutely dominates games on the offensive end. Great floor general and can run the team. Nasty three point shot off the dribble, or catch and shoot, Nice midrange game on floaters, impressive finisher at the rim for his size with either hand. Has a Euro step in the lane to get around defenders to finish shots. Hits passers right in the shooting pocket for three point shots. Hits cutters to the basket for layups. Has to improve as a defender and be more of a pest to opposing point guards. Plays for Y and R. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite ranking. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ahmad-henderson-ii. Henderson in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uvx_QyDGrs.
8) Daniel Johnson, Whitney Young(Chicago)- 6'6" 180 pound guard is a big time wing player. He can shoot the three off the bounce and the catch, hit the mid range shot, can finish at the rim with either hand. Plays good defense as he can defend three positions on the court. Good size for the position. Has to get better with off the ball defense. Plays for Meanstreets on Nike EYBL Circuit. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/daniel-johnson. Johnson in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PofspGSLpX8.
9) Jalen Griffith, Simeon(Chicago)- 5'10" 160 pound point guard can dominate a game on both ends of the court. He's a good passer, floor general, and gets where he wants on the court. Can hit the three off the bounce and has shown he can do it off the catch. Nice pull-up mid range jumper. Makes good decisions when he gets to the paint whether to pass or shoot. Decent finisher at the rim and is a pest on defense. Can pick an opposing players pocket like a thief in the night. Weakness is finishing at the rim mostly because of his size. Has to get stronger. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jalen-griffith. Griffith in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Br1wsZJOmk.
10) Sam Lewis, Oak Park River Forest- 6'5" 165 pound guard can shoot from three as well as slash to the basket. Attacking the basket is his strength as he uses a Euro step to get around defenders and finish. Can dunk over guys with catching alley-oops or attacking and finishing with a two handed dunk. Defends three positions on the high school level. Does not have a ranking on 247 composite. Needs to get stronger and play better off the ball defense. Plays for Meanstreets on Nike EYBL Circuit. Offer list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/sam-lewis. No highlights of Lewis in action.