Breakdown of Kentucky after first exhibition game.
Updated: Oct 27, 2019
Kentucky beats defending NAIA Champ Georgetown College(KY) 80-53. Here are some takes from the game:
1) First exhibition game the defense was not bad though the guards gave up dribble penetration too much when Ashton Hagans was out of the game. This could be a problem when they face Cassius Winston of Michigan State.
2) Nick Richards ankle injury is a concern because of lack of depth in the interior. Not sure of his availability for Michigan State game. He played very well before going out with injury on the glass and rim protecting.
3) This will be a good three point shooting team as they went 9 for 22 from the longer three point line. They moved the line from 20 feet 9 inches to the international line of 22 feet for this season.
4) Immanuel Quickley looks good. He has played well in practices and the Blue/White Game. This continued tonight 16 points and 3 assists tonight and hit 3 three pointers. He looked a lot more comfortable and aggressive on the offensive end. He still has to get better on the defensive end.
5) Tyrese Maxey was solid tonight getting to the basket and with his shooting. He's going to have to improve on the defensive end of the court.
6) Keion Brooks Jr was solid tonight hitting mid range shots, rebounding, and rim protecting. He's going to have to be better finishing inside and posting up on the block.
7) Nate Sestina had a double/double 11 points and 10 rebounds. A good stretch four and stretch five but can he score inside against SEC and power five inside players?
8) Johnny Juzang can be a very good scorer off the bench but defense will have to improve. He looked lost at points tonight on that end of the court. He can score from mid range and three point shooting.
9) Ashton Hagans was a pest on the defensive end as usual, and his three point shooting has improved but needs to get better. He hit his free throws which will be big coming down the stretch of games.
10) EJ Montgomery was inconsistent. He missed a couple of easy finishes at the rim, and was not good on the defensive glass. This was against an NAIA team, he has to be better against the top opponents Kentucky will face.
11) Kahlil Whitney looked lost on the offensive end tonight. He did not score, but hit the glass, and was very good on the defensive end of the court. He went 0 for 2 from the free throw line. Coach Cal will have to find ways to get him the ball in his scoring spots and more confidence on that end of the court.
Four players in double figures is very good. Kentucky has one more exhibition game against Kentucky State on Friday before Michigan State in nine days. One thing about Kentucky: you don't see their best till later on in the season. No panic Kentucky fans the team is a work in progress. Kahlil Whitney will play better as will Johnny Juzang and others. Till next time God Bless.