Big Tim's Top 10 players in Class of 2021 in Illinois!!!!!
This one will be controversial. There are a lot of players who would be Top 10 in their class most years that won't make this one. I have not ventured outside of the Chicago Area, so I'm sure there are some downstate players who are very good. This is who I've seen either live or online. This is also how they have performed this season, along with their talent level. Here we go:
1) MAX CHRISTIE(Rolling Meadows)- 6'6" guard who is a consensus Top 15 ranked player in the nation has had a very productive start to the season. He's averaging around 25 points and 12 rebounds 6 assists a game. This is with his three point shooting being a little off so far this season. He's just a monster with those two dribble pull ups from mid range, and attacking the basket more and dunking on folks. He's a lanky kid but has gotten stronger and is finishing better around the rim. He still has that spin move in the lane that is a straight killer move. He was all tournament at the Jack Tosh Holiday Tournament. He has offers from dozens of Power 5 schools.
2) BRYCE HOPKINS(Fenwick)- 6'7" wing has been very productive at least the games I've seen him play. I have seen him score over 40 points twice, shoot 34 free throws in one game. He attacks, attacks, attacks the basket. He's been inconsistent with his three point shooting, but is posting up on the block with a lot of effectiveness. He has hit some mid range shots, but still turns it over a lot off the dribble. This will have to improve for him at the next level, as he's committed to Louisville.
3) CHRIS HODGES(Schaumburg)- 6'8" center is a Wisconsin commit who has been housing anyone that guards him on the block. He's averaging a double/double for the season, and has improved as a rim protector. He runs the floor well and finishes on rebound put backs on the offensive end. He has not shown much outside of 12 feet, but he's not needed to take those shots in the Saxons offense. Post moves are much improved from when I saw him on the Under Armour Circuit.
4) AHAMAD "BLACK CAT" BYNUM(Simeon)- 6'3" guard is a DePaul commit who's averaging about 20 points a game. He still takes a lot of bad uncontested shots, but(I thought I'd never say this), he has to in this hemorrhaging offense of the Wolverines. He's the only consistent scorer they have right now. He can hit three pointers in bunches and with range at times. He can also play point guard in a pinch, as he's shown a propensity to be able to run pick and roll offense. He's an explosive leaper who will dunk on you at anytime.
5) BLAKE PETERS(Evanston Township)-6'1" guard who has always shown himself to be a three point sniper, but has improved greatly in other areas, namely his defense. He has set a record for steals in a game with 8, and is improved slashing to the basket and finishing on offense. He's averaging about 16 points a game along with 5 rebounds. He's better on the ball and with help side defense. He'll need to develop a mid range floater to complete his offensive arsenal. He was Most Valuable Player at the Centralia Holiday Tournament.
6) LOUIS LESMOND(Notre Dame College Prep)-6'6" wing who can handle the ball, shoot deep three pointers, and drive to the basket and finish. He seems to float through games at times, not in a bad way either. He's shown a nice step back three point shot, and moves well without the ball. He's been Most Valuable Player in two tournaments, the DePaul Prep/Lane Tech Thanksgiving Tournament, and the Wheeling Hardwood Classic. He has Power 5 offers from multiple schools.
7) DARRION JONES(Bogan)- 6'1" point guard has greatly improved his leadership skills over the last year. Part of this was because he came off the bench as a sophomore last and was an attacking guard off the dribble. He still does that attacking the basket with great efficiency, and it seems he's better at picking his spots to do that this year. He's very good hitting ,mid range jumpers and does not shoot threes that often. He'll have to show that at some point for the college scouts. He's a pest on the defensive end of the court and gets a lot of steals and scores in transition. He was all tournament at the Proviso West Holiday Tournament.
8) JAYLIN GIBSON(Evanston Township)-6'4" guard is playing more in control this season. He's a do everything player on both ends for the Wildkits. He leads in rebounding, assists, blocks, and is among the leaders in steals. He's always been good at attacking the basket, but is finishing at the rim a lot better this year. He's not taking a lot of three pointers this year, but has shown he can hit them at key times. He was first team all tournament at the Centralia Holiday Tournament.
9) TYLER JOHNSON(DePaul Prep)-6'2" point guard has all the tools for the position. He runs the offense with great control, can score from three point range along with attacking the basket and finishing. He's a pest on the defensive end and gets a lot of steals with his quickness and moves the ball well. He gets a lot of hockey assists by moving the ball to the open man. He was all tournament at the Hinsdale Central Holiday Tournament.
10) SCOTTIE EBUBE(Mundelein)-6'8" forward is an old school low post player. He houses folks when posting up on the low block, has a great spin move, then finishes with the dunk. He hits the boards on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. He's averaging a double/double and is a tough match up on the high school level. He's also a very good rim protector and tends to keep his blocked shots inbounds to start the fast break. He was all tournament at the Collinsville Holiday Classic.