Big Tim's Preseason Elite 25 teams in Chicago Area!!!!
Updated: Nov 19, 2021
Pandemic wrecked havoc on last season as a lot of teams played a max of 16 games, some Chicago Public League teams didn't get in 10 games. No state championship series of course. That is the best development for this coming season, teams get to play for a state title again. Beside each teams ranking will be what class they will be playing in this season. Key dates for each team will also be in the rankings. All player rankings are Big Tim's rankings in their class. Here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) (4A)- They have the #1 player in the state in senior Gonzaga commit Braden Huff(6'11" forward), and an all-senior lineup. Most of these guys have been playing together since 4th grade so big time chemistry for these players. Princeton commit #10 senior Caden Pierce(6'6" guard), Army commits Bobby Durkin(6'7" wing) a Hinsdale South transfer and Ryan Renfro(6'9" forward), Paxton Warden(6'4" point guard), and Jack Cardwell(6'0" point guard) are all senior standouts. Here's my story about the top team in the area: https://www.bigtimshsbballrevue.com/post/introducing-the-1-team-in-chicago-area-glenbard-west-glen-ellyn.
KEY DATE: January 22nd vs #2 Whitney Young(Chicago) at When Sides Collide(Bene Academy,Lisle)
2) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)- They have the #2 senior in the state Miami(FL) commit Andre Casey Jr(6'8" forward) who will be the linchpin for this team. A national schedule awaits them City of the Palms, Florida and Bass Pro Tournament, Springfield, MO. A bunch of wing players in Daniel Johnson(6'6" junior), Jordan Streeter(6'6"senior), Matthew Sommerville(6'6" senior), Northern Illinois commit Xavier Amos(6'8" senior). Junior point guard Dalen Davis(6'0") will steady the ship for the Dolphins along with junior guard Marcus Pigram(6'3"). Look for freshman Antonio Munoz(6'6) to contribute.
KEY DATE: January 22nd vs #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) at When Sides Collide(Bene Academy, Lisle)
3) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)- The loss of Top 5 national talent JJ Taylor hurt but the cupboard is nowhere near bare. #4 Junior point guard Darrin "Dai Dai Ames(6'2") will be the leader and has moved up the national rankings. Transfer Nevada commit senior Trey Pettigrew(6'3") is a knockdown shooter on the wing. #6 Junior Davius Loury(6'7" wing) is a high major division one prospect who will have to pick up the scoring slack with loss of Taylor. Senior transfer Darius Robinson(6'2" guard) will have to provide some shooting from the wing spot. St Rita transfer Solomon Mosley( 6'6" power forward) will have to do the dirty work inside. Look for freshman wing Bryce Heard(6'6") to get major minutes off the bench. #3 Sophomore Lincoln Park transfer Jaden Smith(6'9") may have some eligibility issues.
KEY DATE: December 19th vs #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) Site To Be Determined
4) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)- Lost a lot of senior talent from Big Tim's #1 team from last season. Still a contender in Class 3A. They filled the roster with transfers but one holdover will be a key leader. Junior point guard Bryce Tillery(5'8") will have to bring the team together. He's a good passer, defender on the ball, and gets to the basket strong. Tinley Park transfer senior Aa'Reyon Munir-Jones(6'2" wing) is a slasher penetrator who brings senior leadership. St Rita transfer Darrion Baker(6'7" forward) is over his injuries and back healthy. Versatile inside/out wing player will show what he can do this year. Sophomore Isaiah Green(5'10") will have coming out party this year as he's a knockdown three point shooter, along with being a pesky defender. Senior Marcus Glover(6'7"), juniors Matthew Moore(6'7") and Kaleb Valentine(6'7") give the Hawks size.
KEY DATE: December 11th vs #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) at Team Rose Shootout(Mount Carmel,Chicago)
5) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)- Some say they are a little under the radar this year but they still have a lot of talent. Down in Class 3A after a number of years in 4A. Guard trio of #9 senior Jaylen Drane(6'3" point guard), senior Avion Morris(5'8), and #9 junior Jalen Griffith(5'9) have enough ball handling and pressure defense to help Simeon contend. Lots of size in senior Lance Rodgers(6'7"), juniors Steve Turner(6'8"), Homewood Flossmoor transfers Miles Rubin(6'9"), Wesley Rubin(6'8") to give rebounding power. Senior wing JayQuan Adams(6'5") is a big time slasher.
KEY DATE: January 11th at #3 Kenwood Academy(Chicago)
6) St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago)(3A)- Another Class 3A contender this is their highest ranking in awhile. This is a school you rarely see have transfers. Air Force commit Kolby Gilles(6'5" forward) is a strong wing who can rebound and hit the three. Underrated junior Richard Barron(6'5" guard) is a do it all player who can hit threes along with slashing to the basket and finishing. Senior guard AJ Redd(6'3") is a great leader and another do it all talent who fills the stat sheet. Junior Jackson Kotecki(6'9" forward) will give them rebounding along with step back three point shots. Seniors Mike Casey(6'0"), Noah Davis(6'2") and Emmet O'Schaugnessy will fill the point guard spot. Sophomore guard Reggie Ray will be one to watch.
KEY DATE: December 17th St Rita(Chicago)
7) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)- Finished in a 3 way tie for Central Suburban SouthTitle last season will try to break Evanston Township's stranglehold on the title. Start with Elon commit senior Nick Martinelli(6'7" forward) who is an unstoppable inside/outside force on the high school level. His senior tag team partner Cornell commit Cooper Noard(6'1" point guard) who is an excellent three point shooter along with playmaking abilities. Junior guard Roddell Davis Jr(6'0") needs to step up as the third scorer this year. Look for senior Mason Adams(6'7") to help Martinelli with rebounding duties and protecting the paint.
KEY DATE: December 5th #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) Ridgewood Shootout
8) Oak Par River Forest(4A)- New Coach Phil Gary who is an alum will have this team getting out and running. Should have happened years ago. He has Denver commit Justin Mullins(6'5" wing) with help from #10 junior Sam Lewis(6'6" guard) who is a slasher and knock down three point shooter. Junior Rodney Murphy(6'3" guard) should be the third scorer for this team. Senior John Vincent(6'9" center) will handle the rebounding and rim protecting. Senior Raimond Yarbrough(5'10"), and sophomore Max Johnson(5'9") will handle point guard duties. Senior guard Max Murray(6'1") will bring energy off the bench.
KEY DATE: January 14th vs #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn).
9) New Trier(Winnetka)(4A)- Will have a serious chance a winning the Central Suburban South along with Glenbrook South(Glenview). Senior Jackson Munro(6'8" forward) is a division one prospect who can score from 15 feet in and hits the glass. Look for three point sniper senior guard Noah Shannon(6'4") along with junior guard Jack Feigen(6'3) will bust zones all year. Senior Finn Cohan(6'6") and junior Tyler Van Gorp(6'10") add size to the lineup.
KEY DATE: December 9th vs #7 Glenbrook South(Glenview)
10) St Rita(Chicago)(4A)- Is this team too young? Or have they had enough experience to contend and play consistently? I'm going with in between for now. They have my #1 Illinois commit Morez Johnson Jr(6'9" forward), #2 James Brown(6'9" forward) and #8 Jaedin Reyna(5'11" point guard) sophomores as leaders of the team. Junior Kaiden Space(6'0" guard) is the 4th big time player. Look for freshman Melvin Bell(6'2" guard) to contribute early and often.
KEY DATE: December 17th vs #6 St Ignatius(Chicago)
11) Christian(Yorkville)(1A)- Will be overwhelmingly favorite to win the Class A State Title. #3 Senior Duke commit Jaden Schutt(6'6" guard) has become more than a standstill jump shooter. He has elite athleticism to his game that will help on the glass. Underrated junior guard Braden Long(6'4") is a long range sniper. Sophomore guard Jehvion Starwood (6'3") is a speedy point guard. Senior KJ Vasser(6'2" guard), Tyler Burrows(6'2" guard), and Elijah Fisher(6'3" guard) will all be major contributors.
KEY DATE: December 10th vs #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)
12) Thornton(Harvey)(3A)- Big time transfer of Illinois commit Ty Rodgers(6'6"forward) a national Top 50 player from Grand Blanc(MI) has helped the major losses they had from last season. They are always a scrappy pressing team. He will be helped in the interior by senior Kelsey Tarver(6'7"forward). Other contributors are senior Montreal McCullough(6'3" wing), juniors Vincent Rainey(5'10" guard), and Wadell Bell(5'11" guard).
KEY DATE: December 4th, #10 St Rita at Chicago Elite Classic, UIC Pavillion
13) Leo(Chicago)(2A)- Will be favorite in Class 2A but not by much. A lot of underrated players on this team. Leader will be Cameron Cleveland(6'2" senior guard). He will be helped by junior Jarrod Gee Jr(6'5" wing) along with classmate Tyler Smith(5'11" guard), and JaKeem Cole(6'0" guard). Sophomores TaVariyuen Williams(6'5" forward) and Christian Brockett(6'0" guard) and look for a lot of pressure defense from this team.
KEY DATE: January 11th at #11 Christian(Yorkville)
14) Rolling Meadows(4A)- Lost McDonald's All-American Max Christie to Michigan State is a blow but a lot of junior talent. Let's start with the only senior contributor on this team guard Orlando Thomas(6'4") will handle the ball along with #5 junior Cameron Christie(6'6"). Other juniors are Foster Ogbonna(6'5" forward), Mark Nikolich-Wilson(6'6" forward), and Tsvet Soitrov(6'6" forward). Look for freshman Ian Militec(6'5" guard) to get major minutes.
KEY DATE: February 8th vs #7 Glenbrook South(Glenview)
15) North Lawndale(Chicago)(2A)- Another contender for Class 2A title. Junior point guard Damarion Wyatt(5'11") point guard is a real sleeper prospect. Junior point guard Ronald Chambers(6'1") is another one to look out for. Junior Aidon Parker(6'6")and senior Vincent Mayes(6'5") provide size. Look for sophomore Tyshaun Moore(6'2" guard) to get a lot of playing time.
KEY DATE: January 21st at #2 Whitney Young(Chicago)
16) Brother Rice(Chicago)(4A)- This team will be led by excellent #7 junior Ahmad Henderson II(5'9") who can control every facet of a game offensively from the point guard position. Partner will be fellow junior Nick Niego(6'0" guard) in the backcourt. Kahlil Ross(6'7"junior forward) and Jayden Watson(6'3" wing) will have to give them some inside play along with Ryan Knney(6'6" junior forward).
KEY DATE: January 7th vs #6 St Ignatius(Chicago)
17) Benet(Lisle)(4A)- Well coached with a lot of shooters and size. Look for Brennan White(5'11") and Ben Romenesko(5'11") to share point guard duties. Junior Andy Nash(6'3") is a big wing shooter and shot creator. Senior Weston Stephens(6'3"wing) is another shooter. Seniors St Joseph transfer Kyle Thomas(6'9") and Luke Tarrow(6'8") give them size.
KEY DATE: December 18th at DePaul College Prep(Chicago)
18) Hyde Park(Chicago)(3A)- A sleeper team in Class 3A. Senior point guard Davontae Hall(6'0" point guard) is one of the sleeper players in the Chicago Public League. Other contributors are juniors Camron Willford(6'0" guard), Damarion Morris(5'10"guard), and Malik Jenkins(6'6" forward). Lindbloom(Chicago) transfer Byron Hobbs Jr(6'5" guard) gives them size on the wing.
KEY DATE: January 13th at #5 Simeon(Chicago)
19) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)- Lost a lot but will be a big time contender in Class 2A. Start with Wisconsin Milwaukee commit Dylan Arnett(6'9" forward) along with underrated senior point guard Trevon Thomas(6'1"). They have a couple of young big wing guards in Payton Kamin(6'6") and Jaylan McCoy(6'6"). Sophomore PJ Chambers(6'1") provides point guard depth.
KEY DATE: December 18th vs Bene(Lisle)
20) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)- Another big time contender in Class 2A. Could surprise a lot of folks. Seniors Mikell and Mikqwon Jones(6'4" forwards) are jack of all trades players. Senior Darrius Perryman(5'10) will run point with help from Davante Wynn-Payton(6'3" wing). Senior Agiste Suliman(6'9" center) gives them size.
KEY DATE: December 15th at #2 Whitney Young(Chicago)
21) St Patrick(Chicago)(3A)- Big Tim All-Area player Timaris Brown(6'5" senior forward) is the leader. Senior point guard Sergio Rivera(5'11") will run the offense. Senior Bryant Handley(6'3" guard) and junior Andrew Ayeni(6'3" guard) will help on the wings. Senior Brandon Adorno(5'9" guard) is a transfer from Mather(Chicago). Look out for freshman EJ Breland(5'11" point guard).
KEY DATE: December 17th at Notre Dame College Prep(Niles)
22) Curie(Chicago)(4A)- This is a young team with a couple of future stars. Sophomores Carlos Harris(6'2" guard) and Taevion Collier(6'6" forward) will be more advanced this year. Jeremy Harrington(6'5"forward) and Amarion Hodges(6'4" forward) give them more size.
KEY DATE: January 18th at Hyde Park(Chicago)
23) Larkin(Elgin)(4A)- North Dakota State commit Damari Wheeler-Thomas(6'0" point guard) is the star and runs the show. Fellow senior Fernando Perez(6'3" guard) is another 4 year starter. Seniors Jamarion Stubbs(5'9" point guard), Dontrell Maxie(6'2" forward) will have to help on the defensive boards. Look out for sophomore Jakob Blakely(6'0" point guard)
KEY DATE: February 4th vs Elgin in Battle of Elgin
24) Bolingbrook(4A)- Alaways a quick and pressing team look for much of the same this year. Juniors point guard Mekhi Cooper(6'0" point guard) and Donoven Younger(6'9" forward) are varsity veterans. Senior Michael Osei-Bonsu(6'5" forward) is another monster in the paint. MJ Langit(6'1" guard), and Dalen Lamberson(6'2" wing) will have to show senior leadership.
KEY DATE: January 5th vs Romeoville
25) Riverside Brookfield(4A)- One student over the 3A enrollment limit is the smallest school in the largest class in the state. Top player is senior guard JP Handley(6'3") along with seniors Joevonn McCottry(6'2" guard) Joe Gilhooley(6'4" wing), Cory Baker(6'0") guard, Brady Vaia(5'9" point guard). Sophomore Will Gonzalez(6'4" guard) has division one potential. Junior Arius Alijosius is a transfer from Stagg.
KEY DATE: January 14th vs Timothy Christian(Elmhurst)
This poll will change constantly throughout the year. Happy hunting and enjoy the season. Back to playing for state trophies.