Big Tim’s Illinois Boys High School Basketball State Poll Week 1!!!!
Updated: Nov 27, 2022
A few state teams lost games to out of state opponents. It will have some effect on the poll but take it with a grain of salt. Here we go:
Sacred Heart Griffin (0-0): Has not started the season yet as most of their players are on the state championship football team.
2) Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) (0-0): Starts their season this week in Chicago Public League Red South/Central play this week, then a juicy matchup vs St Rita (Chicago) on Saturday at Chicago Elite Classic.
3) West (Joliet) (3-1): Only loss was to Lanier (GA) at Kevin Brown Memorial TOC at Washington. Beat St Rita coming back from 14 down to win at the same event. Fears brothers made all tournament, but watch out for junior guard Justus McNair who will be huge moving on. No rest as they have Kenwood Academy (Chicago) Saturday at Chicago Elite Classic.
4) Moline (1-1): Lost to Wisconsin Lutheran and beat Carmel (IN) at Kevin Brown Memorial TOC at Washington. Iowa commit Owen Freeman made all tournament team. Iowa commit Brock Harding had 34 points in loss. Plays Galesburg on Friday and at Urbana on Saturday.
5) Kenwood Academy (1-0): Beat Whitney Young (Chicago) in season opener at DePaul University with junior Isaiah Green hitting the game winner and junior Jaden Smith having a game changing stretch in the fourth quarter to change game around. Start Chicago Publlc League Red South/Central play this week. Big time schedule continues with #3 West (Joliet) in heavyweight matchup on Saturday at Chicago Elite Classic.
6) Metamora (2-2) Lost to Winter Haven (FL) and #3 West (Joliet). Senior South Alabama commit Ethan Kizer, Tyler Mason, and Tyler Swanson made all tournament at the Kevin Brown Memorial TOC at Washington. Hosts Lincoln Park (Chicago) on Saturday.
7) Whitney Young (Chicago) (2-1): Lost opener to #4 Kenwood Academy (Chicago) by 2, then won two games in Rockford. Senior point guard Princeton commit Dalen Davis and senior forward Daniel Johnson played well in Rockford. Junior forward Sean Brown has been the ultimate glue guy and consistently good to start the season. Start Chicago Public League Red West/North play this week. Big matchup on Saturday vs National Christian at Chicago Elite Classic.
8) Brother Rice (Chicago) (4-0): Won Riverside Brookfield Thanksgiving Tournament with a convincing victory over Curie (Chicago) in title game. Niagara commit senior point guard Ahmad Henderson II won Tournament MVP. Senior Khalil Ross and junior Tre Dowdell made all tournament team. Friday at Montini, hosts St Frances DeSales (Chicago) on Saturday.
9) St Rita (Chicago) (2-2): Lost to West (Joliet) and Cardinal Ritter (St Louis,MO) at Kevin Brown Memorial TOC at Washington. Good learning experience for team that is still trying to put it together. Illinois commit junior forward Morez Johnson Jr had a monster tournament. No rest though as they have a big time matchup Saturday with #2 Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) at Chicago Elite Classic.
10) Rolling Meadows (4-0): Rolled through the Fenton (Bensenville) Tournament with ease. Minnesota commit senior guard Cameron Christie was Tournament MVP. Seniors Tsvet Sotirov and Mark Nikolitch-Wilson made all tournament. Hosts Glenbrook South (Glenview) Tuesday, Prospect (Mount Prospect) on Friday, at Maine South (Park Ridge) on Saturday.
11) Evanston Township (4-0): Breezed through the St Viator (Arlington Heights) Thanksgiving Tournament winning every game by double digits. Senior Prince Adams averaged a double/double, and fellow senior Jonah Ross shot the lights out in the last game of round robin tournament. Senior point guard Hunter Duncan provided steady play. Start Central Suburban South play on Friday hosting Glenbrook South (Glenview), then host Mundelein on Saturday.
12) East St Louis (4-0): Was tested in one game, a two point victory over East (Rockford) in their last of four games in Rockford. Senior Kansas State commit Macaleab Rich had a couple of double/doubles, and senior Cal Poly commit Antwan Robinson was solid all week. Next is Saturday in the Darius Miles and Larry Hughes Showdown. Opponent TBD.
13) St Ignatius College Prep (Chicago) (4-0): Won the Loyola/New Trier Thanksgiving Tournament with win in finals over New Trier (Winnetka). Senior George Mason commit Richard Barron III was Tournament MVP. Junior Reggie Ray and sophomore Phoenix Gill made all tournament team. Chicago Catholic League play starts this week at Providence on Friday. Saturday they play Gonzaga (DC) at Chicago Elite Classic.
14) Glenbrook North (Northbrook) (4-0): Won Glnebook North/St Patrick Tournament. Junior point guard Josh Friedman was Tournament MVP. Senior Ryan Cohen and junior Sam Lappin made all tournament. Hosts Mundelein on Wednesday then starts Central Surburban South play at Niles West (Skokie) on Friday.
15) Benet Academy (Lisle) (4-0): Won St Charles East Thanksgiving Tournament. Senior guard Brady Kunka was Justin Hardy Tournament MVP named after a young man who passed away from cancer earlier this year. Great honor for Kunka. Senior John Hopkins commit Brayden Fagbemi was all tournament. East Suburban Catholic play starts this week hosting St Viator (Arlington Heights), Friday vs Riverside Brookfield at Chicago Elite Classic.
16) Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) (4-0): Won Chicago Heights Classic Thanksgiving Tournament. Big time performances from seniors Bryce Tillery, Akron commit Darrion Baker, and Quentin Heady. Friday visits Oak Lawn.
17) DePaul College Prep (Chicago) (4-0): Won Battle of The Bridge at DePaul College Prep (Chicago). Senior Maurice Thomas was Tournament MVP. Sophomore point guard Robert Walls made all tournament. Chicago Catholic League play starts this week on Friday at St Laurence (Burbank).
18) MacArthur (Decatur) (3-0): Won Decatur Turkey Tournament with double digit win over Bolingbrook. Top players are seniors Krystopher Walker, and Makhi Wright.
19) Bolingbrook (2-1): Lost to MacArthur in title game of Decatur Turkey Tournament. Senior Miami, Ohio commit Mekhi Cooper and DJ Strong made all tournament.
20) Curie (Chicago) (3-1): Lost to Brother Rice (Chicago) in Finals of Riverside Brookfield Thanksgiving Tournament. Junior guard Carlos Harris made all tournament. Start Chicago Public League Red South play at Brooks (Chicago) on Thursday. Plays Vashon ( St Louis, MO) at Chicago Elite Classic.
21) Oak Lawn (4-0): Won Spartan-Ram Thanksgiving Tournament with title game win over Mount Carmel (Chicago). Senior guard Xavier Suliaman was Tournament MVP. Senior Ayham Salah made all tournament team. Big game hosting #16 Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) on Friday.
22) North (Downers Grove) (2-1): Won Wheaton Academy Tournament though they dropped a game to Lake Park (Roselle). Junior guard Jack Stanton was Tournament MVP. They play Lutheran (Rockford) on Wednesday at home then play at Hersey (Arlington Heights) on Friday.
23) Hyde Park (Chicago) (2-0) Beat Lincoln Park (Chicago) and North Lawndale (Chicago). Seniors Cam Wiliford, and Damarion Morris are off to great starts as is junior Jurrell Baldwin. Starts Chicago Public League Red South/Central play this week at Longwood (Chicago) on Thursday. Has Father Tolton (Columbia, MO) on Friday, then Chicago U-Lab on Saturday at Chicago Elite Classic.
24) Quincy (3-0): Had an overtime scare in game 2 vs a team from St Louis but won in overtime. Sophomore Bradley Longoor III putting up big numbers.
25) Marian Catholic (Chicago) (3-1): Lost to #16 Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) in Chicago Heights Classic Thanksgiving Tournament. Senior Cal Poly commit Quentin Jones made all tournament. Junior James Bullock has shown well so far. East Suburban Catholic Conference play starts Tuesday hosting Carmel (Mundelein), Friday at Nazareth (LaGrange).