Big Tim's Illinois Boys High School Basketball Poll Week 2!!!!!
Some movement from Chicago Area teams, teams outside the area mostly handled their business. Here we go:
1) Sacred Heart Griffin, (Springfield) (3-0) (3A): Had no problems first three games though most players coming off football. Defending Class 3A Champs handled city rival Lanpher (Springfield) over the weekend. Had running clocks on Notre Dame (Quincy) and Jacksonville. Tuesday at Springfield, Friday hosts Southeast (Springfield).
2) Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) (3-0) (3A): Beat up on St Rita as they led by over 30 at one time at Chicago Elite Classic. Senior point guard Jalen Griffith was the best player on the floor and the smaller a lot of the time at 5'9". Senior forward Northern Iowa commit Wes Rubin showed an improved three point shot, and Sam Lewis looked smooth. Hosts Morgan Park (Chicago) on Tuesday, at Prespectives Leadership (Chicago) on Thursday.
3) Moline (3-1) (4A):Senior forward Iowa commit Owen Freeman was 11 for 11 from the field with 24 points, fellow Iowa commit point guard Brock Harding had 22 points in 91-32 win over Urbana. Tuesday at Geneseo, Friday at Rock Island.
4) Kenwood Academy (Chicago) (4-0) (4A): Had it's second big time win in as many weeks with win over West (Joliet) at Chicago Elite Classic. Junior forward Calvin Robins Jr showed he warrants more playing time. Senior guard Tyler Smith has been the best player so far this season. Senior guard Kansas State commit Darrin Ames needs to stay out of foul trouble going forward. Hosts Gwendolyn Brooks (Chicago) on Tuesday, Friday vs Knoxville Catholic (TN) at Morehouse College (GA), Saturday vs Lovett (GA) at Wheeler (GA).
5) Whitney Young (Chicago) (3-1) (4A): Beat National Christian Academy (MD) at Chicago Elite Classic. Senior wing Daniel Johnson is playing well hitting the glass and scoring for the Dolphins. Senior point guard Princeton commit Dalen Davis hit the game winning shot at the buzzer. Balanced scoring will be the calling card this year. Hosts Farragut (Chicago) on Wednesday, Friday at Michele Clark (Chicago).
6) Brother Rice (Chicago) (7-0) (4A): Breezed to easy victories this week as senior point guard Niagara commit Ahmad Henderson II is running the show and sharing duties with junior point guard Cale Cosme. Senior forward Khalil Ross is chipping in scoring and on the boards. Hosts Providence St Mel (Chicago) on Tuesday, Friday hosts #11 St Rita (Chicago), Sunday vs #21 Bloom Township (Chicago Heights) at Team Rose Shootout at Mount Carmel (Chicago).
7) Rolling Meadows (7-0) (4A): Senior point guard Minnesota commit Cameron Christie has had an excellent start to the season.Player of the Year candidate. Glenbrook South (Glenview) tested them for awhile, but Christie took over the fourth quarter. Senior forward Tsvet Sotirov has really stepped up his game with his three point shooting and passing. Sophomore wing Ian Militec has stepped up his scoring this year, senior forward Mark Nikolitch-Wilson is doing a little bit of everything. Tuesday at Fremd (Palatine), Friday at Hersey (Arlington Heights), Saturday vs #19 New Trier (Winnetka) at Elgin (South).
8) Evanston Township (6-0) (4A): Survived Glenbrook South (Glenview) at home. Senior forward Prince Adams has had breakout beginning of the season. Four career highs in points already and multiple double/dpubles. His summer play has extended into the regular season. Senior guard Jonah Ross has been a consistent three point shooter to start the year. Senior point guard Hunter Duncan is still finding his way in this system. Big games this week for the Wildkits. Hosts La Lumiere (IN) Blue, Thursday at #10 Glenbrook North (Northbrook), Sunday vs #15 Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights) at Team Rose Shootout at Mount Carmel (Chicago).
9) West (Joliet) (5-2) (4A): Lost to Kenwood Academy (Chicago). Senior point guard Michigan State commit Jeremy Fears Jr needs to stay out of foul trouble as his team is hurt when he's sitting. Sophomore guard Jeremiah Fears has stepped up as has junior guard Justus McNair. Consistent inside play from senior forwards Matt Moore and Drew King takes them to another level. Hosts East (Plainfield) on Tuesday, Saturday at Central (Joliet)
10) Metamora (3-2): Beat Lincoln Park (Chicago) 64-52. Tuesday at Washington, Friday hosts Morton (IL).
11) East St Louis (4-0): Idle. Tuesday at Alton, Friday at Collinsville, Saturday vs Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) at Ritenour (St Louis, MO).
12) Benet Academy (Lisle) (7-0) (4A): Beat Riverside Brookfield at Chicago Elite Classic. Senior guard Brady Kunka had a huge game, senior point guard Johns Hopkins commit Brayden Fagbemi has been his usual solid self running the offense. Senior wing Niko Abusara has been playing all over the court. Solid team as usual three point shooters all over the court. Friday hosts Nazareth Academy (LaGrange).
13) St Ignatius College Prep (Chicago) (5-1) (3A): Lost to Gonzaga (DC) at Chicago Elite Classic. Bright spot this season has been junior guard Reggie Ray with his slashes and finishes at the rim. Senior guard George Mason commit Richard Barron III has look quicker off the dribble this season to accentuate his three point shot. Senior forward Miami (OH) commit Jackson Kotecki is hitting the glass on both ends. Friday at Leo Catholic (Chicago), Saturday vs Riverside Brookfield at Team Rose Shootout at Mount Carmel (Chicago).
14) Glenbrook North (Northbrook) (6-0) (4A): Junior point guard Josh Fridman has been aggressive getting to the basket, and either finishing, or kicking it out to shooters. One of them is senior guard Ryan Cohen. Inside play of junior forward Patrick Schaller. Big time game this week on Thursday hosting #6 Evanston Township. Saturday they are at Highland Park.
15) MacArthur (Decatur) (5-0) (3A): Beat Normal University 66-42. Hosts Rochester Tuesday, hosts Jacksonville Friday.
16) St Rita (Chicago) (2-3 (4A)): Rugged schedule has tested this junior laden team. Took one on the chin against #1 Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) at Chicago Elite Classic. Junior forward Illinois commit Morez Johnson Jr has been consistent so far this year. Junior forward James Brown has had flashes but foul trouble hurt him in Simeon Career Academy game. Junior wing Nojus Industraitis seems to still be trying to find his footing. Hosts Montini (Lonbard) on Tuesday. Big test on Friday when they visit #4 Brother Rice (Chicago).
17) Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) (5-0) (3A): Senior wing Quentin Heady has been a consistent performer this season. Senior point guard Bryce Tillery has been solid running the team and scoring. Senior forward Akron commit Darrion Baker is doing it all on the court. Big win at Oak Lawn last week. Tuesday at Eisenhower (Blue Island), Thursday at Thornton Fractional South (Lansing), Saturday vs East St Louis at Ritenour (St Louis, MO), Sunday vs Normal Community at Team Rose Shootout at Mount Carmel (Chicago).
18) Bolingbrook (4-1) (4A): Senior point guard Miami (OH) commit Mekhi Cooper has been big time to start the season with multiple 20 point performances. Junior guard DJ Strong has been consistent as has senior forward Keon Alexander. Wednesday hosts Waubonsie Valley (Aurora), Friday hosts Central (Lincoln Way).
19) North (Downers Grove) (4-1) (4A): Junior point guard Jack Stanton has been solid at the point guard position so far this season. Great balance from senior guards Owen Thulin, Finn Kramper along with junior forward Jake Reimer. Hosts York (Elmhurst) on Friday.
20) Quincy (4-0) (4A): Beat East Moline United 62-50. Had 5 players in double figures led by sophomore guard Bradley Loncor's 15 points (11 for 11 from free throw line). Hosts Alleman (Rock Island) on Tuesday, Friday hosts Sterling, Saturday hosts Batavia.
21) Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights) (5-1) (3A): Senior guard Cal Poly commit Quentin Jones has done it all on both ends this season. Junior forward James Bullock Jr continues to play consistent basketball hitting the glass and running the floor. Tuesday at St Viator (Arlington Heights), Friday at Catholic (Joliet), Sunday vs #6 Evanston Township at Team Rose Shootout at Mount Carmel (Chicago).
22) Hyde Park (Chicago) (4-1) (3A): Moved up despite a loss by 1 to out of state Missouri power Father Tolton. Junior wing Jurrell Baldwin had a double/double in win over U-Lab at Chicago Elite Classic. Senior guard Cam Wiliford continues his outstanding play. Hosts Lindbloom (Chicago) on Tuesday, Thursday at Gwendolyn Brooks (Chicago), Saturday vs Homewood Flossmoor at Team Rose Shootout at Mount Carmel (Chicago).
23) Lyons Township (LaGrange) (4-0): Senior Penn commit Niklas Polonowski is hitting the glass as well as scoring from perimeter. Won only game this week over South (Downers Grove). Seniors Jackson Niego and Carter Reid continue to be consistent.Hosts Proviso West (Hillside) on Wednesday, at Glenbard West (Glen Ellyn) on Saturday.
24) Marist (Chicago) (6-0) (4A): Seniors Justin Lang and Kaden White are giving them scoring and leadership. Good mixture of experience and youth on this team. Hosts St Viator (Arlington Heights) on Friday.
25) New Trier (Winnetka) (4-1) (4A): Beat Maine South (Park Ridge). Senior guards Evan Kanellos a University of Chicago soccer commit and Colgate commit Jake Fiegen have been solid in the backcourt. Senior center Tyler Van Gorp is a rim protector in back of defense. Monday hosts Zion Benton, Friday at Glenbrook South (Glenview), Saturday vs #5 Rolling Meadows at Elgin (South).