Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 9!!!!!!
Updated: Jan 20
There will be some teams reentering the poll this week and some will move out. Some movement is affected by playing teams out of state. I will do a write-up later about my take on it. Here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(4A)(18-0)- Shot the worst percentage all season vs Larkin(Elgin) and still won by 23. Jumped all over Oak Park River Forest on the road to cruise. Still a lot of balanced scoring with 4 to 5 players in double figures every game. Has a big one this Saturday coming. Last of 4 games for the week. Monday MLK Day at Fenwick(Oak Park) for MLK Shootout, Tuesday hosts Proviso West(Hillside) Senior night, Friday, at North(Downers Grove), Saturday vs #9 Whitney Young(Chicago) at When Sides Collide at Benet Academy(Lisle).
2) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)(14-1)- Impressive week starting with a road win over Kenwood Academy(Chicago), blowing out Hyde Park(Chicago) then ending with a win over Gil St Bernard's(NJ) at Spaulding Hoop Hall Classic in Springfield,MA. Team is playing at a high level as senior guard Jaylen Drane continues his outstanding season. The junior Rubin brothers(Wes,Miles) have taken turns dominating in the paint. Junior point guard Jalen Griffith has been doing it all on both ends of the court. Tuesday at Longwood(Chicago), Thursday hosts Corliss(Chicago), Saturday vs #3 Glenbrook South(Glenview) at When Sides Collide at Benet Academy.
3) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)(16-1)- Beat Evanston Township in a sluggish game, then won a tight one over Class 1A power Christian(Yorkville) as Senior Elon commit Nick Martinelli went for 41 points and 13 rebounds in a dominant performance. Junior guard Rodell Davis Jr has really picked up his all around game lately. Will need senior Cornell commit point guard Cooper Noard to pick it up, especially to win that huge Saturday game coming up. Monday MLK Day hosts Conant(Schaumburg), Tuesday at Hersey(Arlington Heights), Friday hosts Maine South(Park Ridge), Saturday vs #2 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago) at When Sides Collide at Benet Academy(Lisle).
4) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)(16-2)- Beat Thornton Fractional South(Lansing),Evergreen Park and Soldan(MO) in blowouts. Young team starting to really gell with multiple players in double figures. Seniors Aa'Reyon Munir-Jones and Marcus Glover are starting to be leaders. Junior Bryce Tillery and sophomore Isaiah Green are getting it together in the backcourt. Will be a real threat to #2 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago) in Class 3A. Monday MLK Day vs Oak Park River Forest at Hyde Park AcademyChicago) MLK Shootout, Tuesday hosts #8 Leo Catholic(Chicago), Friday at Tinley Park.
5) New Trier(Winnetka)(4A)(16-2)- Beat Maine South(Park Ridge) and now starts a tough stretch of games that will test their ranking and will be for seeding in Sectional play. Monday MLK Day vs Bolingbrook at Fenwick(Oak Park) MLK Shootout, Friday hosts Glenbrook North(Northbrook), Saturday vs Christian(Yorkville) at When Sides Collide at Benet Academy(Lisle).
6) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)(13-5)- Lost to #2 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago) at home, beat Curie(Chicago) on the road, lost to Roselle Catholic(NJ) at Spaulding Hoop Hall Classic at Springfield, MA. Tough schedule and it's taking it's toll on them on the boards. Simeon hammered them on the glass and Roselle Catholic did a good job. Guard play is what's keeping them in games with junior point guard Darrin "Dai Dai" Ames, senior Trey Pettigrew, and Darius Robinson. They will have to help more in his area and junior Davius Loury is more of a wing, but will have to crash too. Tuesday hosts Bogan(Chicago), Thursday hosts #16 Hyde Park Academy(Chicago).
7) Curie(Chicago)(4A)(17-2)- Lost at home to #6 Kenwood Academy(Chicago) by 4, beat West(Joliet) at Romeoville Shootout. Sophomore guard Carlos Harris has really been playing at a high level as has junior Jeremy Harrington Jr. Under the rare team even though they are in the Top 10. Tuesday at #16 Hyde Park Academy(Chicago), Thursday hosts Longwood(Chicago).
8) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(2A)(11-2)- Beat Marmion(Aurora) and Richards(Oak Lawn). Five guard lineup is working very well. Senior Cameron Cleveland has been a leader for this team. Jakeem Cole has played at a high level the last few games. Tuesday at #4 Hillcrest(Country Club Hills), Friday at Montini(Lombard).
9) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)(11-6)- Beat Lincoln Park(Chicago) and Westinghouse(Chicago). Went 1-2 at the Bass Pro Tournament in Springfield, MO losing to Sierra Canyon(CA) and Milton(GA). Tough schedule is taking it's toll a little on this team? National schedule may help them especially with a big game coming this Saturday. Senior Northern Illinois commit Xavier Amos has been consistently tough all year. Monday vs Christ The King(NY) at Spaulding Hoop Hall Classic at Springfield, MA, Wednesday hosts Schurz(Chicago), Friday hosts North Lawndale(Chicago), Saturday vs #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) at When Sides Collide at Benet Academy(Lisle).
10) Wheaton Warrenville South(4A)(18-1)- Just methodically kills teams with their pace and their ball movement. One individual is not higher in the hierarchy then the next player. Senior forward Tyler Fawcett is a do it all player. They do have a zone press to slow down teams and make them play half court offense. Monday Wheaton Warrenville South MLK Tournament vs East(Rockford), then TBD, Friday at North(St Charles), Saturday vs #18 Orr Academy(Chicago) at Batavia Night Of Hoops.
11) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(3A)(17-1)- Beat Marmion Academy(Aurora), lost at St Ignatius(Chicago). Junior point guard DeAndre Craig is still playing at a high level as is senior Elijah Joiner. Schedule does get tougher. Monday at Providence Catholic(New Lenox), Saturday at Jacksonville.
12) Rolling Meadows(4A)(18-2)- Beat Prospect(Mount Prospect) and Evanston Township. Junior guard Cameron Christie is consistently putting up 20 a night, while Mark Nitkovich-Wilson has really stepped up his activity on the interior lately. Schedule gets tougher for this young team with only one senior(Orlando Thomas) in the rotation. Thursday at Hersey(Arlington Heights), Saturday hosts Streamwood.
13) Brother Rice(Chicago)(4A)(16-2)- Won 3 games this week and junior guard Nick Niego has picked up his offense lately. Junior point guard Ahmad Henderson II affects every game he plays even when he's not putting up big scoring numbers. Tuesday vs Marist(Chicago), Friday at Marmion Academy(Aurora).
14) Riverside Brookfield(4A)(12-2)- Beat Wheaton Academy and Timothy Christian(Elmhurst). Senior Joevonn McCottry and John Paul Hanley have really put up some big scoring numbers in the last two weeks. Monday vs Central(Plainfield) at Hyde Park Academy(Chicago) MLK Shootout, Friday hosts Aurora Christian, Saturday at Fenwick(Oak Park).
15) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(4A)(15-3)- Won three games last week as senior point guard Akron commit Tavari Johnson is playing like a floor general as usual. He gets it to the three point shooters with great efficiency. Monday vs #17 Burlington Central at Burlington Central MLK Classic, Friday hosts Proviso West(Hillside), Saturday hosts #23 Proviso East(Maywood).
16) Hyde Park Academy(Chicago)(3A)(12-4)- Beat Morgan Park(Chicago), lost big to #2 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago). That loss was an aberration they usually play everyone tough. Great scoring balance from this guard laden team led by senior Davontae Hall. Tough schedule this week. Monday vs Lincoln Park(Chicago) at Hyde Park Academy(Chicago) MLK Shootout, Tuesday hosts #7 Curie(Chicago), Thursday at #6 Kenwood Academy(Chicago).
17) Burlington Central(3A)(17-2)- Won three games rather easily this week. Junior guard Andrew Scharnowski is a big one(6'7") and putting up big time numbers. Hits the boards hard too as he had a double/double in win over McHenry. Senior forward Nick Carpenter has made some big plays for the Rockets this season. Monday vs #15 Lyons Township(LaGrange) at Burlington Central MLK Classic, Tuesday hosts Central(Crystal Lake), Friday hosts Hampshire.
18) Orr Academy(Chicago)(2A)(9-3)- Lost to Christian(Yorkville) and Galesburg. Beat Schurz(Chicago) and Dunlap. Senior forward Caleb Hannah has played at a high level the last two weeks. Still a threat in Class 2A. Wednesday at North Lawndale(Chicago), Friday hosts Lane Tech(Chicago), Saturday vs #10 Wheaton Warrenville South at Batavia Night of Hoops.
19) East(Oswego)(4A)(20-1)- Senior Missouri St Louis commit Patrick Robinson continues to do his thing. Made game winning basket vs West(Joliet). Junior wing Mekhi Lowery continues to be a revelation in his all around play. Oregon brothers(DeVon, Darren) are providing scoring punch from the backcourt. Friday vs South(Plainfield), Saturday vs Batavia at Batavia Night of Hoops.
20) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)(13-3)- Lost to St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago) but sophomore wing Payton Kamin has had an uptick in production lately. Monday vs Milwaukee Science Academy(WI) at Hyde Park Academy(Chicago) MLK Shootout, Friday at Providence Catholic(New Lenox).
21) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)(10-3)- Idle. Wednesday at Farragut(Chicago), Friday at Schurz(Chicago), Saturday hosts Marshall(Chicago).
22) Larkin(Elgin)(4A)(18-2)- Lost to #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn). Might be a rematch with them in DeKalb at the Supsectional. Another five guard team. Tuesday at Bartlett, Thursday hosts Elgin(South).
23) Proviso East(Maywood)(4A)(13-3)- Back in the poll. Johnson brothers(senior Javon, junior Jaloni) keep leading the way from the guard position. They have been very productive the entire year. Tuesday hosts South(Downers Grove), Friday hosts Willowbrook, Saturday at #15 Lyons Township.
24) St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago)(3A)(11-7)- Back in the poll. Beat #20 DePaul College Prep(Chicago) and #11 Mount Carmel. Playing well now and starting t live up to their preseason potential. Senior guard AJ Redd has stepped up his level of play as has junior Richard Barron. Friday vs Loyola Academy(Wilmette) at UIC for the Jesuit Cup, Saturday vs Benet Academy(Lisle) at When Sides Collide at Benet Academy(Lisle).
25) Lemont(3A)(14-4)- New to the poll. Young talented team another one in the Chicago Area. Sophomore sensation wing Nojus Industraitis is one of the best players in the state. Junior guard Castillo twins(Matas and Rokas) are clever guards who can hit threes and score at the basket. Monday vs St Patrick(Chicago) at Deerfield MLK Tournament, Tuesday Thornton Fractional North(Calumet City), Friday Thornton Fractional South(Lansing).