Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 3!!!!
These will be short write-ups this week. Lots of losses will shake up these rankings. Here we go:
1) Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) (6-0) (3A): Beat up Perspectives Leadership (Chicago) on the road. Beat Coronado (Las Vegas) in Arizona.
2) Kenwood Academy (Chicago) (6-1) (4A): Lost in Atlanta but stays in the same spot.
3) West (Joliet) (7-2) (4A): Jumped four spots as they won both games this week while some others lost. Fears brother wrecking havoc as is Justus McNair.
4) Whitney Young (Chicago) (5-3) (4A): Drops 1 spot as they went 1-2 against out of state competition in Gonzaga Classic in Washington, DC. Dalen Davis played very well scoring and assisting.
5) Benet Academy (Lisle) (8-0) (4A): Moves up 3 spots as seniors Brady Kunka, Johns Hopkins commit Brayden Fagbemi, and Niko Abusara are playing very well.
6) St Ignatius College Prep (Chicago) (7-1) (3A): Only loss is to out of state opponent. Junior guard Reggie Ray has played very well to start the season.
7) Glenbrook North (Northbrook) (8-0) (4A)): Big time Central Suburban South conference home win against Evanston Township. Junior point guard Josh Fridman is playing at a high level.
8) Rolling Meadows (8-1) (4A) : Lost to New Trier (Winnetka) by 1 without senior Tsvet Sotirov. Senior point guard Minnesota commit Cameron Christie has had a monster senior season.
9) St Rita (Chicago) (4-3) (4A): Tough schedule helped in tough Chicago Catholic League win at Brother Rice (Chicago). Junior forward Illinois commit Morez Johnson has been dominant to start the season.
10) Brother Rice (Chicago) (9-1) (4A): Tough loss at home against #9 St Rita (Chicago). Senior point guard Niagara commit Ahmad Henderson has been big time scoring and assisting.
11) Bolingbrook (6-1) (4A): Have been playing shorthanded. Miami (OH) commit point guard Mekhi Cooper and DJ Strong have been consistently good to start the season.
12) North (Downers Grove) (6-1) (4A): Great team basketball has put them in this position.
13) Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) (8-1) (3A): Lost to East St Louis in St Louis came back to Chicago and blew out Normal Community at Team Rose Shootout. Senior wing Quentin Heady has been a standout to start the season.
14) Hyde Park Academy (7-1) (3A): Great guard play has made this team a contender in Chicago Public League Red South/Central. Only loss is to out of state opponent by 1.
15) Lyons Township (LaGrange) (6-0) (4A): The star is senior guard Penn commitNik Polonowski but balanced scoring has been the key to success.
16) Marist (Chicago) (8-0) (4A): Won a tough East Suburban Conference game at Notre Dame College Prep (Niles). Sophomore guard Keshaun Vital has been a revelation with his leadership for a player so young.
17) New Trier (Winnetka) (8-1) (4A): Beat #8 Rolling Meadows on last second shot by senior guard Cornell commit Jake Fiegen. Junior guard Ian Brown hit 11 threes for 36 points in win. Showed the Central Suburban Conference is tough.
18) Lemont (9-0) (3A): Have quietly moved up in the Chicago Area as some thought they'd fall without Nojus Industraitis but the Castillo brothers (Rokas and Matas) said we're not going anywhere. Two tough and talented young man have stepped their game up.
19) Lincoln Way East (Frankfort) (7-1) (4A): Senior forward George Bellevue is a double/double machine and his bookend senior forward Kyle Olagbegi is capable of one himself. Senior guard Ty Tolliver is a stat sheet stuffer on both ends of the court.
20) Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights) (7-2) (3A): Lost at St Viator (Arlington Heights) at the buzzer but came back to beat Evanston Township at Team Rose Shootout. Senior guard Cal Poly commit Quentin Jones is very underrated in the Chicago Area.
21) Mount Carmel (Chicago) (8-1) (4A): Back in the poll. Senior point guard Denver commit Deandre Craig scoring and assisting, senior guard Anthony Ciaravino has been hot from three point range lately.
22) Evanston Township (7-2) (4A): Lost two straight games to #7 Glenbrook North (Northbrook) and #20 Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights). Senior forward Prince Adams has had a fabulous early part of the season. Wildkits need to find some outside shooters.
23) Bloom Township (Chicago Heights) (5-2) (4A): Performed well in a loss to #10 Brother Rice (Chicago).
24) Barrington (7-0) (4A): New to the poll. They have followed their State Finals berth from last season with a great start to this season.
25) Thornton Fractional North (6-0): New to the poll. Will have to play #18 Lemont at some point.