Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 2!!!!
Updated: Dec 9, 2019
There will be a new #1 and some moving around of teams from results last week. Local teams losing to out of state teams in Chicago Elite Classic will not move me. Those teams will not drop from those results alone. Here we go:
1) Bloom(Chicago Heights)(7-0)- Last week was #2 but moved up with victories over Kankakee, Thornridge, and Pace Academy(GA) in Chicago Elite Classic. Dante Maddox Jr put on a three point shooting clinic at CEC, as he was 6 for 7 from three with some NBA range threes. Will Donovan Newby be out for a significant amount of time? They have Thornton on Tuesday and St Laurence on Saturday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel)
2) Bogan(Chicago)(7-0)- They jump to #2 from #7 on strength of win over previous #1 Morgan Park. It looks like they have reloaded from Class 3A State runner-up team from last season. Junior guard Darrion Jones has been a revelation with his constant play to start the season. Senior Antoine Bloxton has been a scoring machine and senior Tremear Fraley has been a rim protector in the paint. Senior Kyndall Davis gives them a versatile scorer. Another tough week in the Red South Central at Simeon on Tuesday, Corliss on Thursday, then non conference vs Notre Dame College Prep on Sunday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
3) Morgan Park(Chicago)(3-1)- They drop to #3 with loss to their rival Bogan. They do however have all their players eligible and working at full strength. Kwaheem Brown and Wunya Brown played their first game with the team at the Chicago Elite Classic. They can move back up to #1 at some point during the season. They have a tough one with Red South/Central games at Curie on Tuesday, vs Kenwood Academy on Thursday, then Collinsville on Saturday at the Scott State Bank Shootout.
4) Whitney Young(Chicago)(2-2)- They took a 2 point loss to Duncanville(TX) but only dropped one spot because of Bogan's jump. Duke signee DJ Steward(senior guard) is off to a good start to his season but they need a consistent third scorer to help Steward and senior guard Tyler Beard. Senior forward Sanjolay Nige and junior forward Grant Newell has done a good job with rim protection. They host Walter Payton on Wednesday, at Lincoln Park on Friday in Red North/West
5) Stevenson(Lincolnshire) (5-0)- They dropped one spot because of Bogan jump. They had a convincing win at Westinghouse(Chicago) which is a tough place to play. Seniors Robert Holmes a forward and John Ittounas a guard were the outstanding performers. They could be in line for an undefeated regular season. They have conference games on Tuesday vs Libertyville and Friday vs Zion Benton, then non conference vs Oak Park River Forest on Saturday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
6) Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights)(5-1)- They stay at 6 with two wins this week. Iowa signee senior point guard Ahron Ulis is playing like a Player Of The Year candidate. Senior forward Eliajh Jones has been a good second scorer. They will be tested again this week in conference at Notre Dame College Prep on Tuesday, and that is it for the week.
7) Evanston Township(6-0)- Evanston moves up a spot with dominant performances in wins over Glenbrook North and Notre Dame College Prep at Chicago Elite Classic. Junior guards Blake Peters and Jaylin Gibson were dominant this week, Gibson in both games, Peters against Notre Dame College Prep. Peters played the best game on both ends that I've seen him play vs the Dons. They will be tested this week on Friday vs arch rival New Trier in a conference game at home, then a tough matchup vs 3 time defending Class 2A State Champ Orr(Chicago) on Sunday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
8) Fenwick(Oak Park) (4-1)- They had a big win in Battle of Oak Park over Oak Park River Forest in Chicago Elite Classic then beat Mount Carmel. Sophomore point guard Trey Pettigrew had 22 vs Oak Park, then a big time 33 vs Mount Carmel. Junior forward Bryce Hopkins had a tough shooting week in both games but is always a legit threat. They are at St Frances De Sales(Chicago) on Tuesday and at defending Class A Champ Providence St Mel(Chicago) on Friday.
9) Simeon(Chicago)(1-1)- Lost to Duncanville,TX at Chicago Elite Classic by 4. DePaul commit junior guard Ahamad "Black Cat" Bynum had a big scoring game on his future home court, St Laurence transfer senior forward Jeremiah Williams has been a good second scorer, but they need a consistent third scorer. They have #2 Bogan on Tuesday in conference, then St Rita(Chicago) on Sunday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
10) Notre Dame College Prep(Niles)(5-1)- They drop to the fringe of the Top 10 with loss to then #8 Evanston Township. They will have to recover quickly as they have conference rival #6 Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights) on Tuesday at home, then at Loyola Academy(Wilmette) on Friday, and #2 Bogan(Chicago) on Sunday at Team Rose Classic so it does not get any easier for the Dons.
11) Curie(Chicago)(4-0)- Slowly moving up the rankings board as Senior Ramean Hinton had a big game vs Lindblom and in a win over Callaway(Jackson,MS) at Marshall County Hoops Fest. They host conference foe #3 Morgan Park on Tuesday, and Hillcrest on Saturday at the Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
12) Orr(Chicago)(2-1)- Simeon senior transfer Bryce Hall is getting more comfortable in the offense though they lost at home to Duncanville(TX). They have Lincoln Park at home on Wednesday, at Westinghouse on Friday, and Pinckneyville at Edwardsville(IL) Shootout on Saturday.
13) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(6-0)-Won a tough one at New Trier last week. Senior forward Dom Martinelli is making his Player of The Year bid as he's averaging 32 points a game. They have Niles West at home on Friday, and then it says St Joes(Australia) on Saturday. Not sure what that's about?
14) Loyola Academy(Wilmette)(6-0)- Rolling along with their deliberate offense and winning games which is all that counts. They play at Marmion Academy(Aurora) on Tuesday,#10 Notre Dame College Prep at home on Friday.
15) Homewood Flossmoor(5-1)- Senior forward RJ Ogom has been dominant. They play Lincoln Way Central on Friday.
16) Thornton Township(4-0)- This is another team quietly moving up the rankings with solid play. They play #1 Bloom on Tuesday which will be a big game for conference title aspirations.
17) Joliet West(6-1) lost to Niles North at Ridgewood Shootout which makes them drop. Junior guard Jamere Hill has played very well so far this season. They have Joliet Central on Tuesday and at Plainfield South on Friday.
18) Benet(Lisle)(4-1)- Surprising loss to St Patrick(Chicago) even without their best player Forward Colin Crothers. I'm not sure when he'll be back from injury but season moves on. They play a conference game Friday at Marist(Chicago).
19) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3-2)- Junior guard Mar'Keise "Bucky" Irving is back from ankle injury suffered from football. He makes a big difference in pressuring opposing guards. They play Evergreen Park on Tuesday, Eisenhower on Friday, and Curie on Saturday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
20) Lincoln Park(Chicago)(6-1)- Beat Westinghouse(Chicago) and Kenwood Academy(Chicago). They beat Kenwood at Chicago Elite Classic. Their backcourt is one of the most underrated in the City with juniors Julio Montes, and Ismail Habib. They play at Orr on Tuesday and Whitney Young on Friday.
21) Mundelein(6-0)- Quietly winning games with the combo of junior guard Connor Enright and junior forward Scotty Ebube. They play Lake Forest on Tuesday and Waukegan on Friday at home.
22) Bolingbrook(3-1)-They play Stagg on Tuesday and Andrew(Tinley Park) on Friday.
23) DePaul Prep(Chicago)(5-1)- They are rolling along with junior Tyler Johnson leading the way. They play at Mount Carmel(Chicago) on Tuesday and at home vs Providence(New Lenox) on Friday.
24) St Rita(Chicago)(4-1)- Surprising loss to Brother Rice(Chicago) but doing well under their first year coach. They play St Laurence(Burbank) on Tuesday and Simeon on Sunday at Team Rose Classic(Mount Carmel).
25) Niles North(Skokie)(7-1)- They upset Joliet West at Ridgewood Shotout with senior guard Aquan Smart scoring 38 points. He is help by 6'6" junior forward Jalen Butler. They will need a consistent third scorer to keep being a consistent winner. They play Amundsen(Chicago) on Monday at home, at Maine West(Des Plaines) on Friday in conference play.