Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 17 Final One of Season!!!!!
This season is in the books. Had a historic team go wire to wire as number 1. First time since 2006 that the Chicago Public League did not win a title in any of the classes. The going away from automatic bid has worked for them, but it was a historic run of championships. Take returnees for Chicago Public League teams with a grain of salt. Transfers usually affect those rosters. Here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(37-1)- Won first State Title and it's in Class 4A. Historic team to me one of the five best of all time in the State of Illinois. Loses their top 7 players. Braden Huff(Gonzaga), Caden Pierce(Princeton), Ryan Renfro(Army), Paxton Warden(Illinois walk-on), Bobby Durkin(undecided but heard Iowa and Loyola Chicago are possibilities). Coach Jason Opoka has a big rebuilding job but will forever be known as a State Championship Coach.
2) Whitney Young(Chicago)(26-10)- Class 4A State Runner-Up. City Champion who ran into a buzz saw in the title game. Loses Xavier Amos(Northern Illinois), Andre Casey Jr(Miami(FL)) amongst others. Slated to return backcourt of Dalen Davis and Marcus Pigrim. Will also return wing Daniel Johnson and freshman wing Antonio Munoz. Look for a couple of transfer big's into the program.
3) Christian(Yorkville)(25-13)- Spoils of being the Class 1A State Champ. Jumps 21 spots. Loses three starters including Jaden Schutt(Duke). Returns starting guards David Douglas Jr and Brayden Long.
4) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(27-6)- Class 2A Third place. Lost to eventual champ Nashville in semifinals. Slated to return Payton Kamin and Jaylen McElroy for their junior seasons. As Coach Tom Kleinschmidt said this is now a program who's expected to contend for State Titles now.
5) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(28-7)- Fourth place in Class 3A. Lost to Metamora and St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago). Did not live up to expectations of the Simeon program, this came from Coach Robert Smith himself who's won 6 State Titles. Rubin brothers(Miles and Wes) are expected back for their senior seasons. Point guard Jalen Griffith will be back for his senior season. This will be a huge team with Steve Turner(6'9") stepping up as a senior.
6) Barrington(29-5)- Third place in Class 4A. School record for wins. Losing all 5 starters so will be a rebuild from possibly the best season in school history.
7) Bolingbrook(25-8)- Fourth place in Class 4A. Lost to #1 Glenbard West and #6 Barrington. Has a lot of young talent in the pipeline. 7th and 8th grade teams from the city won State Titles in Class 4A. Can they keep those kids in the community? They are slated to return Mekhi Cooper, Donoven Younger and Keon Alexander for their senior seasons. Josh Aniceto returns for his junior season. Look for incoming junior Drake Washington to contribute.
8) St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago)(24-13)- Third place in Class 3A. Jumped up 17 spots by making their first State Finals ever. Richard Barron Jr and Jackson Kotecki are slated to return as starters for their senior season. Look for incoming sophomore Phoenix Gill(son of NBA player Kendall Gill), and incoming junior Reggie Ray to move into significant roles.
9) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(33-3)- Lost to Barrington in Class 4A Supersectional. First Sectional Title in school history. Rodell Davis Jr, Gavin Marr to step up their senior seasons as returning starters. Look for Nate Kasher to move into the starting lineup his junior year, as will Nick Taylor.
10) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(25-5)- Lost in Class 2A Supersectional to #4 DePaul College Prep(Chicago) in overtime. Catholic League Player of The Year JaKeem Cole and Tyler Smith to return for their senior seasons. Jarod Gee Jr will move into starting lineup for his senior season.
11) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(26-9)- Lost in Class 4A Supersectional to #2 Whitney Young(Chicago). Young team expected to return a lot of talent. Darrin Ames, Davis Loury and Solomon Moseley for their senior seasons. Jumping jack Calvin Robins who had a great Supersectional game returns for his junior season as will Jaden Smith. Bryce Heard returns for his sophomore season.
12) Wheaton Warrenville South(32-3)- Loses 4 starters. Brayden Meredith returns for his senior season as the only starter. Rebuild on the horizon.
13) New Trier(Winnetka)(30-4)- Loses 4 starters. Jack Fiegen is the only significant returners and will be a senior. Tyler Van Gorp(6'10") will have to step up his senior season, and Evan Kanellos will replace his brother at point guard.
14) East(Oswego)(33-2)- Loses 4 starters. Mekhi Lowery is the only significant returner and will be a senior.
15) Lemont(27-8)- Lost to #5 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago) in Class 3A Supersectional. Returns most of their big guns Nojus Industraitis for his junior season and the Castillo twins(Rokas, Matas) for their senior seasons. Will contend for a Downstate berth.
16) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(26-5)- Returns a lot of their top guns. Bryce Tillery, Darrion Baker, Matthew Moore, Quentin Heady for their senior seasons. Isaiah Green returns for this junior season.
17) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(28-5)- Returns DeAndre Craig and Anthony Ciaravino for their senior seasons. Angelo Ciaravino returns for his junior year.
18) Thornton Township(23-6)- Loses Ty Rodgers which is a big loss. Returns sharpshooter Vincent Rainey for his senior season. Rebuild.
19) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(26-6)- Loses Akron commit Tavari Johnson. Will have a rebuild.
20) Curie(Chicago)(26-7)- Returns everyone but Phoenix Bullock. City and State title contender for next season.
21) Michele Clark(Chicago)(23-5)- Loses their entire starting five. Rebuild job on the West Side.
22) Larkin(Elgin)(31-4)- Lost for the second time this season to #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) this time in the Supersectional. Loses all 5 starters. Has promising Andre Blakely coming back for his junior season.
23) Rolling Meadows(28-6)- Loses only one significant player Orlando Thomas. Returns Cameron Christie, Foster Ogbonna, Mark Nikolitch-Wilson, and Tsvet Sotirov for their señor season. Freshman starter Ian Militich is back for his sophomore season. Contender for State Finals next season.
24) Bloom Township(Chicago Heights)(22-7)- Returns Cobb brothers KJ will be a senior, Gianni will be a junior. Micheal Garner will have to step up for his senior season in the paint.
25) Burlington Central(Hampshire)(31-4)- Loses 4 starters but returns Andrew Scharnowksi for his senior season. Has promising freshman Jacob Johnson moving into a significant role for his sophomore season.