Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 15!!!!!!!
We are through IHSA Regionals. 24 of my Elite 25 teams from last week won Regional Titles. The smallest movement of teams all season. Here's where the nitty gritty comes as we are deep into the State Playoffs now. Look for a lot of ranked teams to play each other this coming week. Sectional play will be even more intense as we hit March early in the week. Sectionals semifinals will be Tuesday, and Wednesday. Sectional Finals are Friday. One team will drop out and one will enter.
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(4A)(32-1): Easily won their own regional. Led York in regional final at halftime 41-4!!!!!!!! Could have a tough game on Friday with #5 Wheaton Warrenville South if they advance past Tuesday. Tuesday vs North(Naperville) at Bartlett Sectional.
2) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)(31-2): Was down 7 with 4 minutes left against Niles North(Skokie). Senior guard Cornell commit Cooper Noard injured his head, eye and was bleeding profusely. Took 30 minutes to stop the bleeding and he was out the rest of the game. Meanwhile his team made a wild comeback to win by 3. Senior forward Elon commit Nick Martinelli wants nuts for 35 points as he was not ready for his high school career to end. Now the status of Noard going forward will be critical. Hosts their own sectional Tuesday vs #24 Evanston Township who they've beaten twice.
3) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)(22-9): Easily won their own regional. City Champs aka Chicago Public League Champs are rounding into form. Wing players are trying to take it to the next level. Could have a city title game rematch with Curie(Chicago) in Sectional Final. Tuesday Riverside Brookfield at Proviso West(Hillside) Sectional.
4) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(2A)(23-4): Won Chicago Christian(Palos Heights) Regional with no problem. Five guard lineup could get a test in Sectional Final if they play Longwood(Chicago). Wednesday vs University High(Chicago) at Julian(Chicago) Sectional.
5) Wheaton Warrenville South(4A)(31-2): Was impressive winning their own regional and ending the Polish Hammer 7'3" Conrad Luczynski's season. Senior forward Trent Fawcett is a do everything player at 6'5". Could face a giant task on Friday with #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn). First they have to deal with Benet Academy(Lisle) on Wednesday at Bartlett Sectional.
6) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)(25-5): Won regional but had a tough time with a young St Laurence(Burbank) team on their home court winning by 2. Could this be a rudderless ship or an aberration? Tuesday vs Nazareth Academy(LaGrange) at Hinsdale South(Darien) Sectional.
7) New Trier(Winnekta)(4A)(29-3): Easily won their own regional. Have a rematch on Wednesday with #16 Rolling Meadows which they won in a tight game at the War On The Shore.
Game is at the Glenbrook South(Glenview) Sectional.
8) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)(24-8): No problems in the Oak Lawn Regional clobbering the host team in the title game. Can they shoot and rebound well enough to make a deep run. They will have a tough one with Bloom Township(Chicago Heights). Game is Tuesday at Thornwood(South Holland) Sectional. Look for Bloom to bring a bunch of fans.
9) East(Oswego)(4A)(32-1): Won Central(Joliet) Regional but had a tough time with Aurora(West) in title game. Senior Missouri St Louis commit Patrick Robinson took over inside in the second half. Could have a Bolingbrook team who's on a roll right now in Sectional Final. Tuesday vs Neuqua Valley(Naperville) at Oswego Sectional.
10) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)(26-4): Won their own regional with ease. They will need sophomore guard Isaiah Green to be consistent from three point range. Rematch with Lemont on Tuesday which they beat in the first matchup a couple of weeks ago for conference title. Game is at Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights) Sectional.
11) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(3A)(28-4): Breezed through Glenbard South(Glen Ellyn) Regional. Would not be surprised if they win the Sectional. They have a tough one though with Hyde Park(Chicago) on Wednesday in Hinsdale South(Darien) Sectional.
12) Burlington Central(Hampshire)(3A)(30-3): Won Sycamore Regional but had a tough time in first round game. Senior Gavin Sarvis will have to go to work to win the Sectional. Tuesday vs Boylan Catholic(Rockford) at South(Crystal Lake) Sectional.
13) Thornton Township(Harvey)(3A)(22-5): No problem winning Evergreen Park Regional. Junior guard sharpshooter Vincent Rainey will have to stay hot from three point range to win Sectional. Wednesday vs Kankakee at Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights) Sectional.
14) Curie(Chicago)(4A)(26-6): As I thought had a tough time with the hosts Hinsdale Central in Regional Final surviving by 3. Could get a chance at revenge of City Final vs #3 Whitney Young in Sectional Final. First have to get through #18 Lyons Township(LaGrange) at Proviso West(Hillside) Sectional. Can this young team be up to the task?
15) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)(22-4): Breezed through Christ The King(Chicago) Regional. Senior Mikquon Jones had a double double in title game. Wednesday vs Wells(Chicago) at North Lawndale(Chicago) Sectional.
16) Rolling Meadows(4A)(28-5): Had a tough time with host Hoffman Estates in Regional Final. Big time performance from Mark Nikolitch-Wilson a double double in title game. Looks for revenge on Wednesday vs #7 New Trier(Winnetka) at Glenbrook South(Glenview) Sectional.
17) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)(23-5): Easily won their own sectional. Milwaukee commit forward Dylan Arnett will be key on the interior vs #25 Orr Academy in Sectional Semifinal. Game is Tuesday at North Lawndale(Chicago) Sectional.
18) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(4A)(25-5): Easily won Proviso East Regional. Big time step up in class on Wednesday vs #14 Curie(Chicago) at Proviso West(Hillside) Sectional. Senior point guard Akron commit Tavari Johnson will have to come up big.
19) Bolingbrook(4A)(27-6): Easily won North(Plainfield) Regional. Have won 12 straight and are on a roll. Would not be surprised if they won the Sectional. Wednesday vs Andrew(Tinley Park) at Oswego Sectional.
20) Bloom Township(Chicago Height)(4A)(22-6): Won Brother Rice Regional in a tough one over the hosts. Is a big threat in Sectional but has to play # 8 Kenwood Academy(Chicago) at Thornwood(South Holland) Sectional on Tuesday.
21) Larkin(Elgin)(4A)(29-3): Easily won their own Regional. Five guard lineup will have to play at a fast tempo to win Sectional. Tuesday vs East(Rockford) at Huntley Sectional.
22) Barrington(4A)(25-4): Won Buffalo Grove Regional with title game win over the hosts. Will be hosting their own Sectional. Tuesday vs Fremd(Palatine) at Barrington Sectional.
23) Benet Academy(Lisle)(4A)(26-7): Won Batavia Regional. Will play #5 Wheaton Warrenville South on Wednesday at Bartlett Sectional.
24) Evanston Township(4A)(21-9): Moves up one spot. Won own regional beating higher seed Glenbrook North in their rubber match. Has #2 Glenbrook South(Glenview) that they have lost to twice, and may face a short handed team. Glenbrook South Cornell senior guard Cooper Noard may be questionable with an eye injury. Tuesday at Glenbrook South.
25) Orr Academy(Chicago)(2A)(18-7): Back in the poll. Two of their losses are showing forfeits but showing undefeated in the Red West North. Confusing to say the least. Looking for 4th straight Class 2A title and won their own regional. Tough road really starts with #17 DePaul College Prep(Chicago) on Tuesday at North Lawndale(Chicago) Sectional.
Drops out: Brother Rice(Chicago) season ended.