Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 14!!!!
Updated: Feb 21
IHSA State Playoffs started yesterday(I was mistaken saying it was on Thursday) for all classes. Road to Champaign(University of Illinois) has begun. This is the money season and rankings will change. Lots of losses from teams 20-25 makes the back end of rankings tough. So far one thing has not, Glenbard West being ranked #1 as they have all year. Some movement as conference championships were played, and at least one team will join my poll. Illinois does Regionals, then Sectionals, then Supersectionals, then State Final Four. Here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(4A)(30-1): Blew out Proviso West(Hillside) and previous #5 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago) on the same Proviso West court. Their playoff run starts as they will be hosting their own Glenbard West Regional Semifinal Wednesday vs North(Wheaton).
2) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)(29-2): Won the Central Suburban Conference title with a blowout of Deerfield. This team is definitely a threat to the Glenbard West train. Key will be Gavin Marr, Spencer Brown, and Rodell Davis Jr supporting Martinelli and Noard. Wednesday vs Von Steuben(Chicago) at Maine South(Park Ridge) Regional Semifinal.
3) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)(20-9): Was idle this week preparing for the State Playoffs. City Champ is primed and ready for a playoff run. It starts with their own Whitney Young Regional Semifinal in the pool. Wednesday vs Argo(Summit).
4) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(2A)(21-4): Drops one spot with home loss to DePaul College Prep(Chicago). Still clinched the Chicago Catholic League title. Favorites in Class 2A. Wednesday vs Harlan(Chicago) at Chicago Christian(Palos Heights) Regional Semifinal.
5) Wheaton Warrenville South(4A)(29-2): DuKane Conference Champ starts their playoff run hosting their own Regional. Wednesday vs Glenbard East(Lombard) in Wheaton Warrenville South Semifinal.
6) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)(23-5): Drops one spot. Lost to #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) and now has to reset for Class 3A State Playoffs which they are favored to win. They have to get junior Miles Rubin back healthy and strong. I think the Glenbard West loss will help this team moving forward, but they've lost 3 of the last 4. Starts Wednesday at St Laurence(Burbank) in Regional Semifinal.
7) New Trier(Winnetka)(4A)(27-3): Won their Central Suburban Crossover game
with a blowout of Maine East(Park Ridge). Hosts their own New Trier Regional Semifinal Wednesday vs Maine West(Des Plaines).
8) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)(22-8): Lost at home to Thornton Township which makes it 2 losses in a row going into the State Playoffs. Will have to shoot better from outside and the free throw line to get to State Finals. Start their playoff run at Oak Lawn Regional Semifinal on Wednesday.
9) East(Oswego)(4A)(30-1): Southwest Prairie West Champs are still under the radar even with their glossy record. Only loss to Homewood Flossmoor in Hinsdale Central Holiday Tournament Title Game. Great chance to get to Champaign.Start out at Central(Joliet) Regional Semifinal vs rival Oswego.
10) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)(24-4): Upset loss to Proviso East(Maywood) as they could not buy an outside shot. Still a big time threat in Class 3A but sometimes the youth shows up at inopportune times. Host Hillcrest Regional Semifinal on Wednesday.
11) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(3A)(26-4): Won both games this week including beating a tough Fenwick(Oak Park). Sleeper team in Class 3A playoffs as junior point guard DeAndre Craig is good enough to take them on a long run. Wednesday vs Noble Comer(Chicago) at Glenbard South(Glen Ellyn) Regional Semifinal.
12) Burlington Central(Hampshire)(3A)(28-3): Was able to see them in person and senior Gavin Sarvis is an underrated player in the area. Best player in Fox Valley. Junior Andrew Czarnowski is an up and comer. https://www.bigtimshsbballrevue.com/post/superlatives-in-chicago-area-high-school-basketball-tonight-14. Great path for them to get to Champaign and State Semifinals. Wednesday vs Cary Grove at Sycamore Regional Semifinal.
13) Thornton Township(Harvey)(3A)(20-5): Came into the city and upset #8 Kenwood Academy(Chicago) though not without controversy: https://www.bigtimshsbballrevue.com/post/scoring-controversy-in-thornton-township-at-kenwood-academy-game-and-chicago-area-superlatives. Had to admire the fight in this team. It comes from it's leader senior Illinois commit and do everything 6'6" Ty Rodgers. They are a big time threat in Class 3A but Rodgers will have to protect the ball better as de facto point guard. Starts out Wednesday vs Crete Monee at Evergreen Park Regional Semifinal.
14) Curie(Chicago)(4A)(24-6): Idle as they prepared for Class 4A State Playoffs. Junior forward Jeremy Harrington Jr has shown a nasty inside outside game in the Chicago Public League Playoffs. Will be a threat but has only one senior on the roster. Wednesday vs South(Downers Grove) at Central(Hinsdale) Regional Semifinal.
15) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)(20-4): Is ready for the State playoffs and is another contender in Class 2A. Will they be able to hit some threes to loosen up defenses? Starts playoff run with Legal Prep Charter(Chicago) at Christ The King(Chicago) Regional Semifinal on Wednesday.
16) Rolling Meadows(4A)(26-5): Dropped three spots. Upset in Mid Suburban Title game with loss to Barrington. Down note going into State Playoffs. This group has not won a Regional Game so will have to get over that hump. Is a threat in Glenbrook South(Glenview) Sectional. Wednesday vs Elk Grove Village at Hoffman Estates Regional.
17) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)(21-5): Lost to Marian Catholic then had impressive win at #4 Leo Catholic(Chicago) to end regular season. Has put their name into the crowded Class 2A contender conversation. Senior guard Trevon Thomas has stepped it up lately and will have to keep it up. Hosting their own DePaul College Prep Regional Semifinal on Wednesday vs Marine Leadership Academy(Chicago).
18) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(4A)(23-5): Beat South(Downers Grove) on Friday. Senior point guard Akron commit Tavari Johnson gets the ball to their shooters. Starts playoffs at Proviso East Regional on Wednesday vs Franklin Park-North Lake(Leyden).
19) Bolingbrook(25-6)(4A)(25-6): On a roll having won 10 straight and clicking on all cylinders at the right time. Plays host North(Plainfeld) at North(Plainfield) Regional Semifinal.
20) Bloom Township(Chicago Heights)(4A)(20-6): Starts playoff run Wednesday at Brother Rice(Chicago) Regional Semifinal vs Rich Township(Richton Park).
21) Larkin(Elgin)(4A)(27-3): Starts playoff run hosting Larkin(Elgin) Regional Semifinal on Wednesday.
22) Barrington(4A)(23-4): Moves into poll with Mid Suburban Title Game win over #16 Rolling Meadows. Senior Washington University of St Louis commit Will Grudzinski, and senior Daniel Hong were huge in that game. Wednesday vs Waukegan at Buffalo Grove Regional Semifinal.
23) Benet Academy(Lisle)(4A)(24-7): Moves up 1 though lost to nationally ranked LaLumIere(IN). Starts playoffs Wednesday vs Metea Valley(Aurora) at Batavia Regional Semifinal.
24) Brother Rice(Chicago)(4A)(23-6): Back in the poll after one week absence. Have righted the ship with a 2-0 week. Hosts Brother Rice(Chicago) Regional Semifinal Wednesday vs Shepard(Palos Heights).
25) Evanston Township(4A)(19-9): New to the poll. Solid season with only one bad loss to Maine South(Park Ridge) which they avenged in a huge way. Senior guards David Gieser, and Rashawn Bost will have to play well for a long playoff run. Freshman point guard Yaris Irby has established himself as a starter. Starts playoff run Wednesday hosting Evanston Township Regional vs Schaumburg.
Drops out: Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights), Lemont, and Oak Lawn.