Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 13!!!!!!!
Last week of the regular season. Conference Championship games on Wednesday. Which one to go to? Or not go to one at all and hit a big time match up that day? I do know the last day of the regular season, which is usually not much going on, has a fire cracker of a match up. The favorites in Class 4A and Class 3A will play each other at Proviso West. Great ending to the regular season, and will take lots of thought into the playoffs. I'm going to do a writeup about bench clearing brawls this season, and why they may be happening. Anyway here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(4A)(28-1): Back to their winning ways this week as they had 2 more blowout wins. #1 seed in Bartlett Sectional. Clinched the West Suburban Silver title weeks ago. Guys take their turns leading the team in scoring depending on the game and match ups.Dangerous squad. Two games at Proviso eat this week. First one against Proviso West, then the big time game Friday at Proviso West with #5 Simeon Career Academy.
2) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)(28-2): The one team that might take down Glenbard West keeps rolling along. #1 seed in Glenbrook South Sectional. Won the Central Suburban South title and will play or the overall title at Deerfield on Wednesday.
3) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(2A)(21-3): Chicago Catholic League Blue Champs. They get a different big time contributor every week. Small five guard lineup pressures you into submission and rebounds well as a team. #1 seed in Julian(Chicago) Sub-Sectional. Beat Class 1A #1 Scales Mound at Indian Creek Shootout. Still has a big game with DePaul College Prep(Chicago) on Tuesday.
4) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)(20-9): Jumps 7 spots with Chicago Public League aka City Champs beating Hyde Park Academy, Kenwood Career Academy, and Curie in succession to take the title. Team is hitting it's stride at the right time with junior Daniel Johnson back from injury. #1 seed in Proviso West Sectional. Now get ready for State Playoff run and try to pull off the hard double of City and State.
5) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)(23-4): Lost to Curie in the third matchup in City Semifinals. They have a big game on Friday vs #1 Glenbard West before getting ready for Class 3A playoffs. This will help them hit the reset button with a high intensity game. #1 seed in Hinsdale South Sectional.
6) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)(22-7): Lost to City Champion Whitney Young in the semifinals. May see them again in UIC Supersectional. Big game Wednesday at home vs #14 Thornton Township(Harvey) before playoff run. #1 seed in Thornwood(South Holland) Sectional.
7) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)(24-3): Apologies for last week dropping them below a team they beat and have a similar record to. Won the South Suburban Blue(again) with win over Lemont. Sophomore Isaiah Green is coming to the forefront at the right time. #1 in Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights) Sectional.
8) Wheaton Warrenville South(4A)(28-2): Your drop has nothing to do with your results from this week. Had to have you below Hillcrest and have them below Kenwood Academy because of previous results. Still a great team better than sum of its parts. #2 seed in Bartlett Sectional.
9) New Trier(Winnekta)(4A)(26-3): Same with New Trier had to drop them one spot. They avenged their loss to Evanston Township with a 15 point win. Senior Dartmouth commit Jackson Munro has been outstanding all year. #2 seed in Glenbrook South Sectional.
10) East(Oswego)(4A)(29-1): Look out for this team as they keep rolling along. No losses this calendar year #1 seed in Oswego Sectional but will have to get to State Finals to get respect in the Chicago Area.
11) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(3A)(24-4): After a speed bump in the middle of the season is coming back on as they beat Brother Rice last week in overtime. Junior point guard DeAnre Craig continues to insert his name in conversation of best junior guard in Chicago Area. #2 seed in Hinsdale South(Darien) Sectional.
12) Burlington Central(3A)(26-3): Rolling along in Fox Valley. #1 seed in Crystal Lake South Sub Sectional. I'll get a chance to see them in person Tuesday.
13) Rolling Meadows(4A)(26-4): Lost to #2 Glenbrook South in a possible preview of a Sectional Final. They are the #3 seed in Glenbrook South Sectional. Plays for Mid Suburban conference title Wednesday vs Barrington.
14) Thornton Township(Harvey)(3A)(18-5): Won in senior Illinois commit Ty Rodgers return to Michigan. #2 seed in Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights) Sectional. Big game at #6 Kenwood Academy(Chicago) on Wednesday.
15) Curie(Chicago)(4A)(24-6): Lost to #4 Whitney Young in City Title game. Beat Michele Clark in overtime and #5 Simeon Career Academy in semifinals. #2 seed in Proviso West Sectional and could play Whitney Young again in Sectional Final.
16) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)(19-4): Lost to Curie(Chicago) in overtime in City Quarterfinals. Will get ready for state playoffs. #1 seed in North Lawndale(Chicago) Sub Sectional.
17) Depaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)(20-4): Beat Brother Rice(Chicago) but has a big game with #3 Leo Catholic(Chicago) this week. #1 seed in North Lawndale(Chicago) Sub Sectional.
18) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(4A)(22-5): #3 seed in Proviso West(Hillside) Sectional. I bet they are glad they don't have to play Glenbard West again unless it's in State Title game. They've lost to them three times this season.
19) Bolingbrook(4A)(24-6): Have won 9 straight with great momentum coming into the post season. Won Southwest Suburban Blue Title. #2 seed in Oswego Sectional.
20) Bloom Township(4A)(19-5): Back in the poll as they are in great position to win the Southland conference. #5 seed in Thornwood(South Holland) Sectional. Cobb brothers have been very good.
21) Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights)(3A)(18-9): Reenters poll after being back on the cusp for a few weeks. East Suburban Catholic Tournament Champs. Senior guard Jeremiah Jones was MVP. #5 seed in their own Sectional Marian Catholic Sectional.
22) Larkin(Elgin)(4A)(26-3): Back in poll after one week absence. Upstate 8 Champs and #1 seed in Huntley Sub Sectional. Senior guard Fernando Perez Jr hit the game winning bucket in win over East Aurora.
23) Lemont(3A)(22-6): Lost a tight one to #7 Hillcrest for conference title. Could meet again in Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights) Sectional Semifinal. They are a #4 seed. Sophomore Nojus Industraitis could carry them far.
24) Benet Academy(Lisle)(4A)(23-6): Won East Suburban Catholic regular season title but lost in the tournament title game to host #21 Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights). #3 seed in Bartlett Sectional.
25) Oak Lawn(4A)(22-5): New to the poll. Have a good three headed monster in senior point guard Nicco Reyes(5'10), senior forward Davion Lawrence(6'6"), and senior three point sniper John McGowan(6'2"). #5 seed in Thornwood(South Holland) Sectional.
Drops out: Brother Rice(Chicago), Orr Academy(Chicago), Riverside Brookfield.