Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 12!!!!!!
I debated with myself to maybe put Simeon Career Academy back at number 1 after winning the Chicago Public League title. Head Coach Robert Smith won his record 8th title on Saturday. Sectional seedings are in and this is last week of regular season. Let's see what I decided. Here we go:
1) Benet Academy (Lisle) (27-1) (4A): They did noting to warrant a drop from this position. They have won 11 in a row. Won the East Suburban Catholic conference title. Earned the #1 seed in Bartlett Sectional and I expect to see them in Champaign for Final Four. Friday at DePaul College Prep to end season.
2) Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) (26-3) (3A): Won Chicago Public League Title over #3 Kenwood Academy (Chicago) in overtime. Beat #10 Curie (Chicago) in four overtimes in Semifinal. Has week off getting prepared for IHSA State Tournament where they should be favored in Class 3A. Top seed in Glenbard South (Glen Ellyn) Sectional.
3) Kenwood Academy (Chicago) (23-6) (4A): Lost in Chicago Public League Title game against #2 Simeon. Erased a 20 point fourth quarter deficit to tie it and send game into overtime. Tuesday hosts DeLaSalle Institute (Chicago).
4) West (Joliet) (24-5) (4A): Won rivalry game over Central (Joliet). Tuesday hosts South (Plainfield).
5) Hinsdale Central (27-3) (4A): Beat #23 Lyons Township (LaGrange) to clinch a share of West Suburban Silver Title. Tuesday hosts Glenbard West (Glen Ellyn).
6) New Trier (Winnetka) (26-4) (4A): Beat Glenbrook North (Northbrook) for Central Suburban South Title. Wednesday host Niles North (Skokie) in Central Suburban Conference Title.
7) North (Downers Grove) (25-3) (4A): Have won 11 in a row since two close losses a few weeks ago. Beat Glenbard West (Glen Ellyn). Has a chance at a share of the West Suburban Silver Title with win over Oak Park River Forest and a Hinsdale Central loss.
8) Whitney Young (Chicago) (21-6) (4A): Lost to Curie (Chicago) in Chicago Public League Semifinal. Have a week off before starting Class 4A State Playoffs as they are #1 seed in Hinsdale Central Sectional.
9) Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) (25-3) (3A): Lost by 20 to #25 Thornton Fractional North (Calumet City). First loss to a team in Chicago Area. Won South Suburban Blue Title. Have week off before starting IHSA Class 3A State Playoffs as they are #1 seed in Hillcrest Sectional.
10) Curie (Chicago) (19-10) (4A): Lost to Chicago Public League Champ #2 Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) in four overtimes. Moved up with blowout win over defending champ #8 Whitney Young in quarterfinals. Week off before IHSA State Playoffs as they are #3 seed in Class 4A Hinsdale Central Sectional.
11) Brother Rice (Chicago) (26-4) (4A): Lost in blowout fashion to #22 Lemont in Evergreen Park Shootout. Host Bogan (Chicago) on Tuesday.
12) St Rita (Chicago) (19-10) (4A): Can clinch Chicago Catholic League Title outright with win Tuesday at Leo Catholic (Chicago) in their band box of a gym. Tough place to play. Trap game. Also Friday at St Ignatius College Prep (Chicago).
13) Glenbrook North (Northbrook) (24-4) (4A): Beat Rolling Meadows playing most of the game without star junior point guard Josh Fridman (knee). Lost to New Trier (Winnetka) shorthanded. How healthy will Fridman be for state playoffs? Tuesday host Maine West (Des Plaines) in Central Suburban Crossover game. (Update Fridman is likely out for state playoffs with knee injury. HUGE BLOW FOR THEIR CHANCES!!!!!).
14) Rolling Meadows (25-5) (4A): Lost to #13 Glenbrook North (Northbrook). Wednesday host Palatine in Mid Suburban Title Game.
15) East (Oswego) (24-5) (4A): Took care of business last week. Won Southwest Prairie West Title. Tuesday host North (Plainfield).
16) Perspectives Leadership (Chicago) (19-11) (2A): Back in poll. Lost in Chicago Public League Semifinals to #3 Kenwood Academy (Chicago). Beat #17 Hyde Park Academy (Chicago) three times this season. Thursday host Urban Prep Englewood (Chicago).
17) Hyde Park Academy (Chicago) (22-6) (3A): Lost to #16 Perspectives Leadership (Chicago) in Chicago Public League Quarterfinals for a third time. Week off before starting IHSA State Playoffs where they are #3 seed in Class 3A Glenbard South (Glen Ellyn) Sectional.
18) Mount Carmel (Chicago) (23-6) (3A): Have lost 4 of last 5 games latest to St Ignatius College Prep (Chicago). Friday host Chicago University Lab.
19) Glenbrook South (Glenview) (22-8) (4A): Won both games last week. Tuesday host Deerfield.
20) Bolingbrook (22-7) (4A): Lost to Neuqua Valley (Naperville). Have cliched Southwest Suburban Blue Title. Wednesday visits Sandburg (Orland Park).
21) Lincoln Way East (Frankfort) (23-4) (4A): Won both games last week. Tuesday host Yorkville.
22) Lemont (24-6) (3A): Back in poll as Wisconsin Parkside commits Castillo brothers (Rokas and Matas) are back in the lineup. Blew out #11 Brother Rice (Chicago) at Evergreen Park Shootout. Tuesday hosts Stagg.
23) Lyons Township (LaGrange) (22-5) (4A): Lost a tight one to #5 Hinsdale Central. Tuesday visits Proviso West (Hillside).
24) Proviso East (Maywood) (21-6) (4A): Won both games last week. Tuesday visits Leyden (Franklin Park),
25) Thornton Fractional North (Calumet City) (3A): Back in poll. Beat #9 Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) by 20. Senior guards Javon Warren and Jayden Small had huge nights on senior night. Week off before IHSA playoffs where they are #4 seed in Class 3A Hillcrest Sectional.
Dropped out: Wheaton Warrenville South, Wendell Phillips (Chicago), DePaul College Prep (Chicago).