Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 12!!!!!!
Top 4 teams in the poll last week lost. Two of them to out of state teams. #1 Glenbard West lost a heartbreaker to Sierra Canyon. Chicago Public League Red Division had a tough weekend some playing their third game in three days. Chicago Public Playoffs go on, Quarterfinals Tuesday, Semifinals Thursday, Title Game Saturday. Sectional seeds come out Friday and some results early this week could determine some of them. Here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(4A)(26-1): 26 game winning streak ended but will stay #1 more because the teams below them also lost. Even more the Class 4A favorite as they went 11 for 20 from free throw line uncharacteristically. How is Braden Huff's hip. Took a hard fall in the second quarter blocking a shot. Scheduled Simeon Career Academy for February 18th at Proviso West.
2) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)(25-2): Big week as they blew out Curie(Chicago) in the Chipotle Champions Classic. Inside track now for #1 seed in their own sectional. They will have a huge game for those implications at Rolling Meadows on Tuesday.
3) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)(22-3): Lost to Coronado(Henderson,NV) in a close one at Credit Union 1 Arena. Host Morgan Park(Chicago) Tuesday in Battle of Vincennes in Chicago Public League Quarterfinals.
4) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(2A)(18-3): Big wins over Brother Rice and survives Oak Forest tonight at Evergreen Park Shootout. Junior guard Jakeem Cole has firmly put his name in conversation for top junior guards in the Area. Big game Tuesday at #25 St Rita(Chicago).
5) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)(21-6): Moves up with a blowout win over Hillcrest. If they shoot well from outside could win the Chicago Public League Title. Hosts Orr Academy(Chicago) Tuesday in Chicago Public League Quarterfinals.
6) Wheaton Warrenville South(4A)(25-2): Has been steadily moving up. Senior forward Trent Fawcett has had a great senior year. Could be the only threat to #1 Glenbard West in Sectional play as they will probably meet in the Final.
7) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)(23-3): Huge blowout loss to #5 Kenwood Academy(Chicago). Will have to recover as they have a huge game hosting Lemont on Friday for South Suburban Blue Title.
8) New Trier(Winnetka)(4A)(24-3): Huge upset loss to rival Evanston Township at Northwestern University. Could have cost them a share of the Central Suburban South title and #1 seed in Glenbrook South Sectional. They could somewhat redeem themselves by beating Evanston Township on Monday the rare back to back conference game. Make up game from COVID19 postponement.
9) East(Oswego)(4A)(27-1): Hs clinched the Southwest Prairie West title. Has to lost in calendar year 2022.
10) Rolling Meadows(4A)(24-3): Has clinched Mid Suburban East title. Could really complicate things in the Glenbrook South(Glenview) Sectional with a win at home over Glenbrook South(Glenview) on Tuesday.
11) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)(17-9): Moves up one spot though they lost to Vashon(St Louis, MO) at O'Fallon(IL) Shootout. That was their third game in three days. Lots of teams around them lost. Hosts Hyde Park(Chicago) in Chicago Public League Quarterfinals.
12) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(3A)(22-3): Beat DePaul Prep(Chicago) and Oak Lawn today at Evergreen Park Shootout. Junior point guard DeAndre Craig just keeps producing at a high level. Hosts #16 Brother Rice in a huge Catholic League Tilt on Friday.
13) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)(19-3): Quietly inserting themselves as a Class 2A favorite. They just pound you in the interior and attacking the rim. Tuesday hosts #14 Curie or Lane Tech.
14) Curie(Chicago)(4A)(21-5): Blown out by #2 Glenbrook South at Chipotle Champions Classic. Will have to recover to get focused for the rest of the Chicago Public League Playoffs. Monday hosts Lane Tech(Chicago) in Round of 16.
15) Burlington Central(3A)(24-3): Have clinched Fox Valley Conference Title.
16) Brother Rice(Chicago)(4A)(21-4): On a two game losing streak as they were ambushed at #4 Leo Catholic(Chicago) then lost today in overtime to Homewood Flossmoor. Doesn't get any easier as they host DePaul College Prep(Chicago) Tuesday then at #12 Mount Carmel(Chicago) Friday.
17) Thornton Township(Harvey(3A)(17-5): Illinois commit senior Ty Rodgers has a double double in every game with exception of one. Trying to win Southland conference. Rodgers has a Michigan homecoming game on Saturday playing Davidson(MI).
18) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)(18-4): Lost to Mount Carmel as they only scored 12 points in second half. Big game at #16 Brother Rice(Chicago) on Tuesday.
19) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(4A)(20-5): Lost to Oak Park River Forest.
20) Riverside Brookfield(4A)(18-4): Has a chance to win Metro Conference outright with win Friday at Timothy Christian.
21) Benet Academy(Lisle)(4A)(21-5): Playing in East Suburban Catholic Tournament this week. Hosts Notre Dame College Prep on Friday.
22) Lemont(3A)(20-5): Big time game on Friday vs #7 Hillcrest to win a share of South Suburban Blue Title.
23) Orr Academy(Chicago)(2A)(15-5): Advanced in Chicago Public League Playoffs with two wins. Getting ready for a run at a 4th straight Class 2A State Title. Tuesday at #5 Kenwood Academy(Chicago) in Quarterfinals of Chicago Public League Playoffs.
24) Bolingbrook(4A)(22-6): Back in the poll as they've won 7 straight after 3 straight losses. Wins Southwest Suburban Blue. Beat O'Fallon at O'Fallon(IL) Shootout.
25) St Rita(Chicago)(4A)(18-8): Dropped a spot with out of state loss to Christian Brothers College(St Louis,MO) at O'Fallon(IL) Shootout. Hosts #4 Leo Catholic(Chicago) on Tuesday.
Dropped out: Christian(Yorkville).