Big Tim's Elite 25 in Chicago Area Week 10!!!!!!
Updated: Jan 23, 2022
Great week in high school basketball this week ending with the When Sides Coellide event which was one of the best in years. I also heard the Batavia Night Of Hoops was also good as usual. Both will have a great effect no this weeks poll. Big matches coming this week with one top 5 matchup in Central Suburban South conference, which should be for the title. Orr Breast Cancer event will be next weekend. Here we go:
1) Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn)(4A)(22-0)- Won 4 games this week all in blowout fashion culminating in a big time blowout of Chicago Public League power Whitney Young at When Sides Collide. They've now beaten 10 teams that have been ranked at one time this season. Tough schedule and could play Sierra Canyon(CA) on February 5th at Wintrust Arena. No rest for the top team which they've been in this spot all year. This week proved that Senior Gonzaga commit Braden Huff is the undisputed best player in Illinois. Friday at #14 Lyons Township(LaGrange), Saturday hosts North(St Charles).
2) Glenbrook South(Glenview)(4A)(20-1)- Won 4 games last week culminating with big win over previous #2 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago) at When Sides Collide . Senior Elon commit forward Nick Martinelli continues his player of the year push with a double/double vs Simeon. Big showdown coming up on Thursday in the Titan Dome vs #5 New Trier(Winnetka). Beat them by 20 on the road though the Trevians were without their coach and point guard in first matchup. They could meet a third time in the Glenbrook South Sectional Final. Could be without junior guard Rodell Davis Jr in the New Trier matchup. He may have a concussion from hustling to save a ball from going out of the bounds in the game vs Simeon. Thursday hosts #5 New Trier(Winnetka), Saturday vs Loyola Academy(Wilmette) at the War On The Shore at Loyola Academy.
3) Simeon Career Academy(Chicago)(3A)(16-2)- Lost their first game in Illinois to previous #3 Glenbrook South(Glenview) at When Sides Collide. Played without junior forward Wes Rubin who injured his ankle in practice on Friday. Senior Jaylen Drane played well continuing his great senior season. Chicago Public League Title and Class 3A State title are well within reach. Junior point guard Jalen Griffith can get any shots he wants may want to be more aggressive in looking for his mid range jumper. Junior forward Miles Rubin was a beast in the Glenbrook South game. Busy week for Woliverines. Monday at Longwood(Chicago), Tuesday at Brooks(Chicago), Friday hosts #7 Curie(Chicago), Saturday vs Cardinal Ritter(St Louis,MO) at Orr(Chicago) Breast Cancer Shootout.
4) Hillcrest(Country Club Hills)(3A)(18-2)- Breezing through the South Suburban Conference as they usually do. The game vs Lemont for the title will be interesting. They totally destroyed preciously #8 Leo(Chicago) on their homecourt. Junior point guard Bryce "Diggy" Tillery came out with his scoring shoes on Friday hitting 32 points vs Tinley Park. Junior forward Matthew Moore had a double/double in the same game. Young team coming around and looking like a Class 3A title contender. Tuesday hosts Bremen, Saturday vs North Lawndale(Chicago) at the Orr Academy(Chicago) Breast Cancer Shootout.
5) New Trier(Winnetka)(4A)(20-2)- Had a close game with Glenbrook North(Northbrook), then blew out Christian(Yorkville) as senior forward Dartmouth commit Jackson Munro has really stepped up his game lately. Senior Karlo Colak is really playing well too. They have a second of three possible matchups with #2 Glenbrook South(Glenview) on Thursday at their house. Point guard Pete Kanellos will have to shoot some open looks he's getting don't want other teams playing 4 vs 5. Thursday at #2 Glenbrook South(Glenview), Saturday vs #12 Rolling Meadows at War On The Shore at Loyola Academy(Winnekta).
6) Kenwood Academy(Chicago)(4A)(16-5)- Breezed through their conference games as senior guard Darius Robinson had a couple of big scoring games. Junior point guard Darrin Ames is out again(knee) but should be back in about a week. Senior Nevada commit guard Trey Pettigrew will have to step up the scoring once again. Freshman forward Bryce Heard has given some good contributions lately. Tuesday at Longwood(Chicago), Saturday vs Christian(Yorkville) at Orr Academy(Chicago) Breast Cancer Shootout.
7) Curie(Chicago)(4A)(19-2)- Just keeps pound you workmanlike with that great high low of Junior forwards Jeremy Harrington Jr and Chikasi Ofoma. Sophomore guard Carlos Harris keeps attacking the basket and getting assists and finishes. Pressure full court defense bothers opponents. Chicago Public League Playoff dark horse. Tuesday at Corliss(Chicago), Friday at #3 Simeon Career Academy(Chicago), Sunday vs #8 Wheaton Warrenville South at Orr Academy(Chicago) Breast Cancer Shootout.
8) Wheaton Warrenville South(4A)(22-1)- Continues to roll through the DuKane conference and also beat Orr Academy(Chicago) at Batavia Night Of Hoops. Forward Tyler Fawcett continues to have an outstanding senior season. Friday at Geneva, Sunday vs #7 Curie(Chicago) at Orr Academy(Chicago) Breast Cancer Shootout.
9) Mount Carmel(Chicago)(3A)(19-1)- Rolling through the schedule like they've always been a basketball school. Junior DeAndre Craig needs to get more respect as a player in the Chicago Area. Senior Elijah Joiner giving them strong inside play, and junior guard Anthony Ciaravino is a big time three point threat. Tuesday at St Rita(Chicago), Friday at Leo Catholic(Chicago), Saturday hosts St Joe's Ogden.
10) Whitney Young(Chicago)(4A)(14-7)- Lost to #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn) at When Sides Collide. Senior Miami(FL) commit forward AJ Casey had 20 points in the game and was aggressive offensively. Senior Northern Illinois commit Xavier Amos started getting some space in the middle of Glenbard West's 1-3-1 zone in the second half. Whitney Young's guards have to play better if they want to achieve their goals for the season. It would help to have junior forward Daniel Johnson in the lineup at some point. Can still win the Red West/North, Chicago Public League Title, and Class 4A State Title. Wednesday at Lane Tech(Chicago), Saturday vs Bishop Gorman(Las Vegas, NV) at Nike Extravaganza(Mater Dei Santa Ana,CA).
11) Leo Catholic(Chicago)(2A)(12-3)- Ambushed by #4 Hillcrest(Country Club Hills) as size bothers this team because of their five guard lineup. Guard Cameron Cleveland is having an outstanding senior season. Will they be able to hit the defensive boards well enough to be a serious Class 2A title contender? Tuesday at Loyola Academy(Wilmette), Friday hosts #9 Mount Carmel(Chicago).
12) Rolling Meadows(4A)(20-2)- Breezing through the Mid Suburban East as junior guard Cameron Christie is consistently putting up at least 20 points in every game. Getting contributions from different people every game. Senior Orlando Thomas will have to be the leader for this young team in big games and help Christie out. Tough games coming up for the Mustangs. Monday hosts Academy(Wheaton), Thursday at Buffalo Grove, Saturday #5 New Trier(Winnetka) at War On The Shore at Loyola Academy(WIlmette).
13) Brother Rice(Chicago)(4A)(18-2)- Won Battle of Pulaski in overtime over Marist(Chicago) as junior guard Nick Niego hit a huge three in overtime. Junior forward Khalil Ross has been an inside.outside threat for Brother Rice. Junior point guard Ahmad Henderson II had a big scoring game vs Marmion. Tuesday at Fenwick(Oak Park), Friday hosts St Laurence(Burbank).
14) Lyons Township(LaGrange)(4A)(18-3)- Senior Akron commit point guard Tavari Johnson is doing a great job running the offense. Senior forward Billy Bach is doing a good job on the glass. Big time blowout of Proviso East(Maywood). Big week for Lyons third meeting with number 1. Blown out in first two meetings. Friday hosts #1 Glenbard West(Glen Ellyn).
15) East(Oswego)(4A)(22-1)-Junior Maeki Lowery has a put back at buzzer in overtime to beat hosts Batavia at Batavia Night Of Hoops. Rolling through Southwest Prairie West. Tuesday at East(Plainfield), Friday hosts Aurora(West).
16) DePaul College Prep(Chicago)(2A)(15-3)- Won both games last week. Senior forward Milwaukee commit Dylan Arnett and sophomore wing Payton Kamin have stepped up their scoring lately. They've had to as the Rams need to start scoring more points to be a Class 2A contender. Tuesday hosts St Laurence(Burbank), Friday at Loyola Academy(Wilmette).
17) Michele Clark(Chicago)(2A)(13-3)- Won three games this week. Jones brothers(forwards Mikquon, Mikell) are the keys for this team. Class 2A contenders. Today hosts North Lawndale(Chicago), Wednesday hosts Lincoln Park(Chicago).
18) Larkin(Elgin)(4A)(20-2)-Senior point guard North Dakota State commit Damari Wheeler-Thomas goes over 2000 points for his career. Senior guard Fernando Perez Jr is a sniper from three. Five guard lineup who plays fast and uses pressure defense on the ball. Running through Upstate Eight conference. Tuesday host Fenton, Friday at West Chicago, Saturday vs Thornton Township(Harvey).
19) Lemont(3A)(17-4)- Won three games this week as sophomore Nojus Industraitis has exploded for multiple 30 point games. Very young team will have to beat #4 Hillcrest(Country Club Hills) to win the conference title. Tuesday at Oak Forest, Friday hosts Bremen, Saturday TBD at Lincoln Way West.
20) Burlington Central(3A)(19-3)- Lost to #14 Lyons Township(LaGrange). Tuesday at Dundee Crown, Friday at Central(Crystal Lake).
21) Orr Academy(Chicago)(2A)(11-4)- Lost to #8 Wheaton Warrenville South at Batavia Night Of Hoops. Senior forward Caleb Hannah has been one of the best layers in the state this year. Wednesday at Marshall(Chicago), Saturday vs Confluence(OH).
22) Riverside Brookfield(4A)(14-4)- Lost to Aurora Christian as Senior guard Joevonn McCottry showed some good athleticism in the game. Senior guard John Paul Hanley continues to have big scoring games. Look out for sophomore guard William Gonzalez. Tuesday hosts Immaculate Conception Catholic(Elmhurst), Friday hosts Chicago Christian(Palos Heights).
23) Benet Academy(Lisle)(4A)(17-5)- Reenters poll. Beat previously #23 St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago). Senior Eastern Illinois commit Kyle Thomas looked very aggressive in that game with his offense. Senior guard Brennan White, junior guard Brady Kunka are gutsy and can hit the three. Junior guard Nikola Abusara was clutch late in the game. Tuesday hosts North(Naperville), Friday at Marist(Chicago).
24) Bloom Township(4A)(14-4)- Reenters poll. Senior forward Emondrick Ford has three triple doubles this season, two last week. His are points, rebounds, and blocks. Sophomore point guard Gianni Cobb has played like a veteran this season. Tuesday vs Thornton Township(Harvey).
25) Kankakee(3A)(14-5)- New to the poll. Lost some games as some key players played on the State Final football team. They usually have a good competitive program. They are 14-1 since the Washington Tournament of Champions in November. Tuesday at Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights), Friday at Thornridge(Dolton), Saturday vs St Laurence(Burbank).