Big Tim's Class of 2023 Top 10 players in Illinois Volume 4!!!!!
There was a big time move into the state and some players moved out but adjustment in my rankings including a new #1. Some players blew up and rose their play in the Spring and Summer. Here we go:
1) Cameron Christie, Rolling Meadows: 6'6" combo guard Minnesota commit balled out all Spring and Summer. Showed his three level scoring for both his high school team, and playing off the ball for Illinois Wolves on Under Armour Circuit. He's a better defender as he can guard three positions on the high school level. Can get his shot off against anyone at any part of the court makes it look easy. Runs a team smoothly getting where he wants on the court, and makes passes to teammates in the right spot. Just turned 17 last month so a lot of room to grow literally and physically. 247 composite ranked 138th in the nation which is criminally low.
2) Jeremy Fears Jr, West (Joliet): 6'2" point guard aka Floor General. Michigan State commit just moved back into the state after playing two years at LaLumiere in Indiana which is a national power. He knows how to run a team, get players into the right spots, and get to the basket and finish at the cup. Nice mid range floater to his game, and defends point guards like his life depended on it. Working on his outside shot from three point range to make himself a threat all over the court. Played with Indy Heat on Nike EYBL Circuit. 247 composite ranked 38th in the nation.
3) Owen Freeman, Moline: 6'10" forward and Iowa commit played very well this summer with MidPro Academy the #1 independent team in America. He has exquisite footwork on the interior, can finish off either shoulder. Takes his time in the low post to get a quality look at the basket. Good rim protector and rebounds at a high rate. He can step out and hit the three point jump shot now, along with making moves off the dribble too the basket. Hits the free throw jumper which makes him a threat to take it to the rim with powerful finishes. Not ranked in 247 composite which is absolutely ridiculous.
4) Macaleab Rich, East St Louis: 6'6" wing is the King of Bounce in this class. Strong body, explosive off the bounce as well as off the jump. Tries to dunk everything within miles of the rim. He has improved his perimeter game with nice mid range jumpers. Rebounds at a high rate for a wing, and can create for his teammates off the bounce. Three point shooting is solid but improving as he has some high majors on his trail. Played for the Southwest Jets an independent team in the St Louis Area. My first time seeing him live was this summer and was very impressed. College coaches loved watching him as you anticipate a poster dunk when he gets the ball. Not ranked in 247 composite. School list: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/macaleab-rich.
5) Darrin Ames, Kenwood Academy(Chicago): 6'2" point guard is a Kansas State commit who can score on all three levels. Hits the three off the dribble as well as off the catch. Nice floater from mid range and has the athleticism to finish at the rim which nice lay-ups, or dunking over defenders. He has to work on his consistency as to when to take over a game, or when to get his teammates involved. Has a bright future and playing in the Big 12 will take his game to another level. Played for Mac Irvin Fire. 247 composite ranked 51st in the nation.
6) Brock Harding, Moline: 6'0" point guard is an Iowa commit who's quick enough to get where he wants on the court. Finishes at the rim in a variety of ways, uses his body well to get nice angles to finish. Best attribute is his intelligence in running a team, and two dribble mid range pull-ups. Improving three point shot off the dribble, and is solid on catch and shoots. Works hard as a defender to overcome size deficiency at the position. Led MidPro Academy to being the #1 independent team in America. Not ranked in 247 composite nationally.
7) Asa Thomas, Lake Forest: 6'7" wing is a Clemson commit who is a knockdown three point shooter. Moves well off the ball, has a nice mid range game, and has improved off the bounce finishing at the rim though still needs to work on lateral quickness. Rebounds well for a wing, hits the open man in his shooting pocket along with cutters to the basket. Good defender who knows how to play angles to cut off drivers to the basket. Played for Illinois Wolves on Under Armour Circuit. Not ranked in 247 composite.
8) Darrion Baker, Hillcrest(Country Club Hills): 6'8" forward is an Akron commit who blew up this Spring and Summer. Is a steal for the Zips as he has some high major talent. Versatility is his calling card as he can create off the dribble, hit the three, can score from mid range, and rebounds a lot better at this time in his career. He showed he can do some rim protecting and guard wing players as he slides his feet better on the perimeter. He showed a lot for Team Rose on the Adidas Circuit. Not ranked in 247 composite.
9) Dalen Davis, Whitney Young(Chicago): 6'0" point guard played at a high level in the Spring and Summer for Meanstreets on the Nike EYBL Circuit. Showed he can hit the three off the catch as well as off the bounce. Nice floater game in the mid range, showed some strong finishing at the rim. Needs to improve his defense staying in front of other point guards, but is intelligent and knows how to cut off angles to prevent straight line drives. Great leader who knows when to get teammates involved. Not ranked in 247 composite. School list: https://verbalcommits.com/players/dalen-davis.
10) Miles Rubin, Simeon Career Academy(Chicago): 6'9" wing is a Loyola Chicago commit who rim protects, rebounds, and finishes at the rim with authority. Has shown he can get to the basket off the dribble with nice mid range pull-ups. Has a soft jump shot out to the three point line. Nice two end player who is too valuable to take off the court as he proved playing for Meanstreets on the Nike EYBL Circuit. He's the kind of player who could jump to high major after a couple of years of college basketball. Not ranked in 247 composite.
Drew Scharnowksi, Burlington Central(Hampshire) 6'8" wing- Belmont commit versatile offensive player who can do a little rim protecting. (Breakaway Basketball)
Mekhi Lowery, East(Oswego): 6'6" wing Towson commit is a jack of all trades player who is a versatile wing that can do it all on both ends of the court. (Y and R)
Quentin Jones, Marian Catholic(Chicago Heights): 6'5" combo guard can run point for you, nice mid range jump shot and improving three point shooter. Can defend four positions on high school level. School list https://verbalcommits.com/players/quentin-jones-il. (Team FVV)
Ahmad Henderson II, Brother Rice(Chicago): 5'10" point guard is a Niagara commit who can hit threes from deep and at a high rate, and is the consummate floor general. (Y and R)
David Douglas Jr, Christian(Yorkville): 6'4" combo guard can score on all three levels of the court. Catch and shoot threes, off the bounce, mid range jump shots. Lots of upside as he's only 17 years old.
Jake Fiegen, New Trier (Winnetka), 6'4" guard Cornell commit is the best shooter in the state. (Full Package)
Josh Thomas, Evanston Township, 6'6" wing is a jumping jack. (Y and R)
Deandre Craig, Mount Carmel(Chicago), 6'2" point guard Denver commit is cat quick. (Team FVV)
Richard Barron, St Ignatius College Prep(Chicago), 6'6" wing is a knockdown shooter from three. (Meanstreets)
Jalen Griffith, Simeon Career Academy(Chicago), 5'9" point guard can score at all three levels and picks your pocket defensively. (Team Rose)
Ryan Cohen, Glenbrook North(Northbrook), 6'2" combo guard another big time outside shooter. (Illinois Wolves)
Niklaus Polonoski, Lyons Township 6'6" wing is one of the top shooters in the state. (Breakaway Basketball)
Arius Alojisius, Riverside Brookfield, 6'3" combo guard another knockdown shooter from three. (Breakaway Basketball)
JaKeem Cole, Rich Township, 6'0" combo guard just gets it done on both ends. (Chitown Bulldogs)
Zack Hawkinson, Sacred Heart Griffin (Springfield) 6'6" wing is a double/double machine who has improved his perimeter game. (MidPro Academy)
Tyler Van Gorp, New Trier(Winnetka), 6'11" center has a nice touch in the post out to three, rebounds, and rim protects. (Hoops 4 Health)
Xavier Suliaman, Oak Lawn, 6'3" combo guard can score off the bounce attacking the rum and finishing with nasty dunks over defenders. Mid range is solid, three point shot improving. (Hoops 4 Health)
This is a deep class in Illinois a lot of guys who could definitely be on this list. Let's hope no more transfers occur (not holding my breath).